Luirojärvi Reservable Wilderness Hut
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Luirojärvi reservable hut. See where to pick up the keys.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Luirojärvi, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 12.5863' lon: 28° 01.3984' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7566603 E: 542389
- The wilderness hut is the largest in the National Park and is situated on the southeast shore of Lake Luirojärvi.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails.
- The closest huts are the Tuiskukuru open and reservable wilderness hut, the Lankojärvi open and reservable wilderness hut, the Hammaskuru open and reservable wilderness hut, the Muorravaarakka open and reservable wilderness hut, the Muorravaarakanruoktu rental turf hut, the Kuusela rental hut, and the Rajankämppä open wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Kiilopää is ca. 35 km and from Aittajärvi ca. 25 km.
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- Please check the opening hours by phone, from www-pages or by e-mail.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- Two-tiered sleeping platforms, mattresses, pillows, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- In the same building, there is also an open wilderness hut and a drying room. A drying room shared with the other hut.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the lake.
- The sauna fee is 10 € / adult, 5 € / child (under 7 years) or for a member of a group (a group min. 10 persons). Payment in advance in Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or Ivalo Customer Service. The sauna fee is possible to pay also in Eräluvat webstore (eraluvat.fi).
The sauna is available for use by all hikers, so you should be considerate of others and not stay too long in the sauna. During peak seasons you should agree bathing times with other hikers, for example, take turns between men and women at alternate hours.
There are no accessible services in the hut.
You can camp by the campfire sites.
The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi.
Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Metsähallitus follows the principles of litter-free hiking. Visitors are adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.
The booking calendar
By checking the booking calendar of the huts (eraluvat.fi) you can see the availability beforehand. Bookings: Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen, tel. +358 206 39 7200 or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi.