Luiro Mires Trails
Starting Points for Trails
- The starting point for Sokanaapa Nature Trail is at a parking area situated on road 965 (Savukoski road).
- There is a trail from Alaköngäs road in Luiro Village to Kairanaapa bird watching tower.
- Directions to trail starting points
- Sokanaapa Nature Trail 1.2 km (back and forth) sets off from the parking area and leads to Sokanaapa bird watching tower. There are duckboards along the entire length of the trail and the trail is barrier-free, which means it can be travelled in a wheelchair or with a baby pram. The bird watching tower is also accessible by wheelchair with a bit of assistance. There are boards along the trail which have information, in Finnish, on mire nature. Note! Duckboards have reached already in poor condition, please be careful while walking on nature trails.
- Services: dry toilet for the disabled, bird watching tower
Old Roads and Tracks
- A trail leads from Alaköngäs road in Luiro Village to the Kairanaapa bird watching tower.
- The River Luirojoki is suited for canoe treks lasting several days, but can also be paddled in shorter sections. The canoe route which leads from Lokka all the way to Pelkosenniemi is 144 kilometres long. The route is suited primarily for experienced canoeists seeking peace and solitude of the wilderness as the area is secluded and there are hardly any services along the route.
Snowmobile Trails and Tracks
- Visitors who wish to travel by snowmobile along the snowmobile track, which runs between Savukoski and Pelkosenniemi and leads across Sakkala-aapa bog in an east-west direction and through the southern portion of Kairanaapa bog, need an off-road vehicles permit. For more information on the snowmobile track permits see the Eräluvat.fi-website (eraluvat.fi).