Suomu Nature Information Hut
Liminganlahti Nature Centre is closed 1.1.-4.2.2022. The Finnish Nature Centre Haltia is closed 10.1.–1.2.2022. Koli Nature Centre Ukko is closed 1.1.–26.1.2022. Kuusamo Customer Service Karhuntassu is closed 13.1.–31.1.2022.
In other nature centers in Finland, we require the use of a facial mask and keeping the 2 meter distance to other visitors. In addition, there may be requirements to show the Covid pass, and/or the number of visitors can be limited. More information Nature centers. The length of the restrictions depends on the region. More regional information can be found at the Finnish institute for health and welfare website.
Suomu Nature Information Hut is located by Lake Suomunjärvi, in the heart of Patvinsuo National Park. The Nature Information Hut has a heart-warming exhibit on the mammals and birds of Patvinsuo National Park.
The Nature Information Hut is situated on a 17th century forest ranger estate surrounded by a twig fence. The main house of the present estate was built in 1953 and researchers stay there. The Nature Information Hut is in the old barn. Guide can be reached by calling: +358 465 720 766 / Pekka Turunen.
There is no entrance fee. On request visitors can get a short introduction to the nature information hut, free of charge. Guided tours in the park for a fee. Groups should make reservations in advance: +358 465 720 766 / Pekka Turunen.
Opening hours 2021
The Suomu Nature Information Hut is open between 1.5. - 30.9. Other times, please contact: +358 465 720 766 / Pekka Turunen.
The opening hours are
1.5. - 31.5. Wed-Sun 10-17
1.6. - 31.8. Mon-Sun 10-17
1.9. - 30.9. Mon-Sun 10-17
From Lieksa: Take road 73. South of Lieksa turn onto road 522 (from Pankakoski to Ilomantsi) and continue along it for 39 km. Go through the centre of Hatunkylä Village and turn onto road 5202 (from Kivilahti to Kitsi) in the direction of Uimaharju, where the sign to the National Park is pointing. About 15 km down this road there is an intersection with signposts to the park. Turn left and drive for 6 km to the Nature Information Hut.
From Joensuu: Take road 73. At the Uimaharju traffic-circle turn onto road 5160. Continue along this road for 16 km and then turn right onto road 5202 (from Kivilahti to Kitsi). There are signposts along this road to the National Park. There is an intersection with signposts about 20 km down this road. Turn right and drive 6 km to the Nature Information Hut.
By Public Transportation
- A coach (matkahuolto.fi) travels from Uimaharju to Kivilahti.
- Information on natural features and hiking possibilities in Patvinsuo National Park.
- Maps, books and Metsähallitus publications, t-shirts, pins and sleeve badges.
- Rental of rowboats (3), canoes (3) and a kayak for 8 e/h or 30 e/24 h. Life vests and dry sacks are included in the price.
- Guidance: Short introductions free of charge.
- Indoor lodging at Nature Information Hut and a Rental Hut.
- We only accept cash payment.
The exhibition at Suomu Nature Information Hut informs visitors about the life of the bear, mire plants and a beaver's dam building activities in a fun way with the help of a teddy bear called Oiva. Patvinsuo is the ideal place for bird watching and this is also taken into account in the exhibit. Children can crawl into a small bear den to hibernate next to cuddly cubs.
- The starting point for Mäntypolku Circle Trail (4,5 km) is on the Nature Information Hut grounds. The trail ends at the well which is on the grounds after winding through dry pine forest. As well as beautiful shore scenery there is also a restored charcoal pit and a forest fire research area along this trail.
- A well and dry toilet can be found on the grounds.
- A campfire on the shore of Lake Suomunjärvi is 200 metres away.
Visitors with wheelchairs can get from Suomu Nature Information Hut to the campfire site on the shore of beautiful Lake Suomunjärvi with assistance. The shore is about 200 metres away.