Tuntsa Wilderness Area Directions and Maps
Tuntsa Wilderness Area is located between the Savukoski - Tulppio road and the Salla - Tulppio road.
- Turn off of road 965 (Salla - Savukoski) near the village of Särkelä onto the road leading to Tuntsa. There is a sign at the intersection which reads: Naruskajärvi 45 km. From Lake Naruskajärvi it is still a 30 km drive to the village of Tuntsa near the boundary of the wilderness area. There is a dense network of forest roads in the area so it is possible to get even closer to the wilderness area. A popular place to park cars is at Auermavaarankuusikko, 18 km from Naruskajärvi in the direction of Tuntsa. It is not an official parking area though. At Auermavaarankuusikko the UKK Trail crosses the Naruska - Tuntsa road. The road is cleared of snow only up to Naruskajärvi.
- From Savukoski take road 9671 and drive 90 km in the direction of Tulppio. You can also continue by car along a forest road network closer to the boundary. The forest roads are shown on the Savukoski - Tuntsa outdoor map. For example Tulppionkaitavaara Fell, the north end of Turjalainen and Ahmatunturi Fell can all be reached by car during summer. The roads can be in poor condition. Snow is cleared from road 9671 up to Ainijärvi frontier guard station. The road ends at the station, which is 15 km from Tulppio.
- Hikers can get to Tulppio by travelling along the UKK Hiking Trail. From Tulppio the trail continues onward to the starting point for Nuortti Hiking Trail at Haukijärvenoja parking area.
- Driving directions to Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
By Public Transportation
- There is no public transportation from Tulppio or Naruska to Tuntsa. Korvatunturi taxi can help you if you need transportaion from Pelkosenniemi to Savukoski or further, tel. int. +358 40 730 6484.
- From Tulppio it is a 10 km hike along the UKK Trail to the wilderness area.
Starting Points for Excursions
- You can set off on a hike into the wilderness area or on the UKK Trail from Auermavaarankuusikko forest. There are no official parking areas for hikers.
- Tuntsa Naruska Tulppio Waterproof Topographic Map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2020. Map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Salla Savukoski Waterproof Outdoor Map 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2016. The map is sold by Korvatunturi Visitor Centre, the Savukoski municipal offices, the area's tourist enterprises and well stocked bookstores.
- Sallan osoite- ja virkistyskartta: Salla address and recreation map, 1:100 000, Maanmittauslaitos 2004. The map is sold by Savukoski Visitor Centre Korvatunturi , the area's tourist enterprises and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartta: Terrain maps U541 Tuntsa and U542 Nuorttitunturi, 1:50 000. The maps are sold by the National Land Survey of Finland, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. Map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Forest map 12-14, 1:250 000, Metsähallitus 2011. The map is sold by Korvatunturi Visitor Centre.