Sights and Activities at the Kuusisto Bishop's Castle Ruins
Because of the coronavirus, safe distances should be kept even in nature, and thorough hand hygiene should be followed at huts, campfire sites and after using the toilet. Metsähallitus' policies and guidelines will be updated as the general corona guidelines become more specific. Check our website for the current situation: www.nationalparks.fi/coronavirusguidelines.
- The medieval Kuusisto Bishop's Castle was built as a stronghold for bishops of the Catholic church in Finland, on the shore of Piikkiönlahti bay. The castle was built, repaired, extended and used for a couple of centuries. In fact, in the early 1500s this was one of the largest bishop's castles in the Swedish realm. King Gustav Vasa ordered the castle to be demolished in 1528, after which the once grand castle became overgrown.
- Orders for a guided tour, subject to a charge, to Kaarina guides/Kaarinan oppaat ry: kaarinanoppaat(at)gmail.com, Lea Heinonen-Eerola tel. +358 400 520 110.
- The campfire site and flush toilet are located by the ruins close to the shore. The firewood shed is adjacent to the toilet building. The toilet is closed during the winter season. The toilet opens again in the spring. Please note that lighting campfires is also forbidden at campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a shelter and a flue.
- The marked nature trail of the Kappelimäki Nature Reserve (3.2 km) is by the castle ruin. The nature trail (visitkaarina.fi) begins at the Kuusisto Manor parking area.
- Kuusisto Art Manor summer café (about 700 m before the castle ruin) hosts an art exhibition. Read more: Kuusisto Art Manor (kuusistontaidekartano.fi).
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in Kuusisto
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the Kuusisto Bishop's Castle Ruins.