Sights and Activities at the Kuusisto Bishop's Castle Ruins
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
The Kuusisto Bishop's Castle ruins are open to visitors free of charge all year round. The site is not staffed and there is no winter maintenance.
Address of the site: Linnanrauniontie 633, Kaarina
Finnish Nature Centre Haltia, tel. +358 40 163 6200 info(at)haltia.com
Metsähallitus is responsible for the maintenance and management of the castle ruins.
As a rule, a permit issued by Metsähallitus is required for activities other than those included in everyman's rights, which may include research and organised events. Further information on required permits: research and access permits (metsa.fi) and permits and notifications related to events (metsa.fi).
Sights and Activities
- The medieval Kuusisto Bishop's Castle was built as a stronghold for bishops of the Catholic church in Finland, on the shore of Piikkiönlahti bay. The castle was built, repaired, extended and used for a couple of centuries. In fact, in the early 1500s this was one of the largest bishop's castles in the Swedish realm. King Gustav Vasa ordered the castle to be demolished in 1528, after which the once grand castle became overgrown.
- Orders for a guided tour, subject to a charge, to Kaarina guides/Kaarinan oppaat ry: kaarinanoppaat(at)gmail.com, Lea Heinonen-Eerola tel. +358 400 520 110.
- The campfire site and flush toilet are located by the ruins close to the shore. The firewood shed is adjacent to the toilet building. The toilet is closed during the winter season. The toilet opens again in the spring. Please note that lighting campfires is also forbidden at campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a shelter and a flue.
- The marked nature trail of the Kappelimäki Nature Reserve (3.2 km) is by the castle ruin. The nature trail (visitkaarina.fi) begins at the Kuusisto Manor parking area.
- Kuusisto Art Manor summer café (about 700 m before the castle ruin) hosts an art exhibition. Read more: Kuusisto Art Manor (kuusistontaidekartano.fi).
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in Kuusisto
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the Kuusisto Bishop's Castle Ruins.
Finnish Nature Centre Haltia, tel. +358 40 163 6200, info(at)haltia.com
Metsähallitus customer service spatial planners
Southeast Finland: Pekka Koponen, tel. +358 206394238
The Metropolitan area: Liisa Neuvonen, tel. +358 206394638
Western Uusimaa: Anne Muuri, tel. +358 206394708
Southwest Finland: Laura Lehtonen, tel.+358 206394659
Kvarken, Southern and Central Ostrobothnia: Tuija Warén, tel.+358 206395282
Satakunta: Marjo Kekki, tel.+358 206394266
Email address: first name.last name (at)metsa.fi