Visit the Örö Fortress Island
- The Örö fortress island opened for visitors at the beginning of June 2015. Entrance is free, but a quay rate will be charged for boats. Visitors may explore the island independently or take a guided tour provided by Metsähallitus' partner entrepreneurs.
- The area is managed by Metsähallitus
- Entrepreneur on the island (visitoro.fi) provides a guest harbour, a café, a guide service, restaurant and accommodation services.
- More information about the destination and services: rannikko(at)metsa.fi
- A notification must be submitted to Metsähallitus of any events organised at the site. Metsähallitus has prepared instructions and a form (metsa.fi, in Finnish) for this.
- Research and other activities not covered by the "Right of Public Access" (also known as "Everyman's rights" in Finland, and the "Right to Roam" in the UK) requires permission from the landowner: instructions and form (metsa.fi, in Finnish).
Directions and Maps
Örö is located in the Archipelago Sea, approximately 15 km south of Kasnäs. This destination is accessible by water only.
- Landing on Örö is only allowed via the guestharbour. There is a special jetty for canoes. Anchoring is prohibited on other parts of Örö island. More about the service in the guestharbour (visitoro.fi).
- Harbour coordinates Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 59º 48.63' lon: 22º 20.15' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6639515, E: 238500
- Nautical chart series: B
- Nautical chart: 644
- Harbour draught 3.0 m.
- Terrain map 1033 11 Örö 84/91 PP, 1:20 000, National Land Survey of Finland 1991. Maps are for sale from e.g. Karttakeskus and the service points of the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Merikarttasarja B, nautical chart series B, 1:50 000, Helsinki–Parainen, 2015. Maps are for sale e.g. from Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookshops.
- Merikarttasarja D, nautical chart series B, 1:50 000, Turunmaan saaristo, 2018. Maps are for sale e.g. from Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookshops.
- Waterproof water touring map Hiittinen Tulliniemi Paraisten portti, 1:60 000, Karttakeskus 2017. Map is sold by Karttakeskus.