Lauhanvuori National Park is a good destination for day trips and camping. All the campfire places and the most important sights are along the trail going through the park.
There are about 10 km of marked trails. Hiking trips can be extended to trails that are maintained by the surrounding municipalities. They go to the crossroads 44 road and Lauhansarventie road in Kauhajoki and to Lauhansarvi Nature Tourism Centre (www.lauha.fi, in Finnish ) in the village of Sarviluoma in Isojoki
Starting Points for Trails
It is easiest to get to the trails from the parking areas at top of Lauhanvuori Hill or at Lake Spitaalijärvi.
- On top of Lauhanvuori hill, there is Rantapolku Nature Trail, 2,6 km, which displays the geology, vegetation and human activities at the hill. There are signs at the forks of the path, otherwise the trail is not marked.
- From Lauhanvuori Hill to the west, towards Lauhansarvi: There are signs at the forks of the path, otherwise the trail is not marked. The distance between the top of Lauhanvuori Hill and Lake Spitaalijärvi is 2 km. Along the trail there are ancient shoreline terraces, which look like giant's steps on the hillside. From Lake Spitaalijärvi the trail continues towards Kivijata (4,6 km) through mires, bubbling springs, brooks and barren heath forests. The trail goes on until Lauhansarvi Nature Tourism Centre, on paths maintained by the municipality of Isojoki.
- Services: Campfire place and camping site at the eastern side of Lake Spitaalijärvi.
- Sights: The view from the scenic lookout tower, Kivijata stone field, Aumakivi boulder rock
- To Lake Spitaalijärvi in the middle of the park it is possible to get by baby pram and wheelchair. The distance is about 500 m from the parking area. There is a 0,5-km-trail on the lake shore, and a cooking shelter and a dry toilet suitable for the disabled.
- From Lauhanvuori Hill to west towards Lake Ahvenlampi: From Rantapolku Trail, which starts at the parking area on top of Lauhanvuori Hill, it is possible to turn to the trail going to Lakes Ahvenlampi and Kaivolampi. There are signs at the forks of the path, otherwise the trail is not marked.
- From Lauhanvuori Hill to east towards Muurahainen: From Rantapolku Trail, which starts at the parking area on top of Lauhanvuori Hill, it is possible to turn to the trail going to Muurahainen Nature Information Hut outside the National Park. This connecting trail is maintained by the municipality of Kauhajoki.
Cross-country Skiing Trails
In the winter there are maintained trails in Lauhanvuori, suitable for classical skiing. You can choose between 3 km, 5 km and 10 km trails. The trails are maintained by the municipalities of Isojoki and Kauhajoki. You can start from the crossraods 44 road and Lauhansarventie road or Lauhansarvi. In the winter you find the skiing trail maps at the top of Lauhanvuori Hill and in tourist centres. The skiing trail network has been marked with skier signs in silver colour. In the spring when the surface of snow sometimes freezes and becomes hard enough to carry a skier, it is tempting to ski outside the maintained trails, which may make it difficult to find the marked trails at some places.
There is a National Bike Trail going through the Park. The bike trail network connects the National Parks of Lauhanvuori and Kauhaneva-Pohjankangas. The network uses old forest roads. On other trails or outside trails, cycling is not recommended.