Services in Auttiköngäs
Customer Service and Guidance
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations in Nature Reserve
- Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in Auttiköngäs
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the nature reserve.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
- The closest shop is at the village of Pirttikoski 10 km from Auttiköngäs. There are other shops in the town of Rovaniemi (rovaniemi.fi), Kemijärvi (visitkemijarvi.fi) and Posio (posio.fi, in Finnish).
- A Loghouse Café serves visitors all year round. See the opening hours on the Loghouse Café website. The Café can be reached by car all year round. The road to Auttiköngäs from the main road is 1.2 km long and there is winter maintenance on the road.
Campfire Sites and Huts
- Auttiköngäs: behind the main building in the "log floaters hut"
- Auttijoki: halfway down the trail right next to the hanging bridge.
- There is a Day Trip Hut "Auttiköngäs log floaters hut" next to Auttiköngäs parking area.
- It is prohibited to light campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to the fireplace inside the "Auttiköngäs log floaters hut".
- More information about lighting campfires can be found at Hiking in Finland.
- Water can be drawn from the River Auttijoki. The surface water from the lakes, rivers and brooks must be boiled before use because the quality varies according to area and temperatures.
- There are no waste bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There is a waste bin at Auttiköngäs parking area.
- There is a dry toilet at both the campfire sites on the nature trail.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- There are no specific areas reserved for camping, but we recommend the environs of the Auttijoki lean-to shelter (the midway point of the trail). Campers may also make overnight stays by the lean-to shelter, but they must not disturb other hikers.
- The closest camping ground is at the village of Autti 6 km in the direction of Rovaniemi.
- Next to Auttiköngäs parking area there are a campfire site, a lean-to shelter, Auttiköngäs log floaters hut and a dry toilet, which have accessible structures.
Lodging, Equipment Rental and Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- For information on these services in the surrounding area see Posio (posio.fi, in Finnish), Rovaniemi (rovaniemi.fi) and Kemijärvi (visitkemijarvi.fi) websites.
- Find out more about visiting Lapland (lapland.fi).
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.