Directions to Karhunkierros Trail
The Karhunkierros Trail runs within the municipalities of Salla and Kuusamo, mainly in Oulanka National Park. The closest villages are Hautajärvi, Käylä, Juuma, and Ruka. From Kuusamo to the Ruka starting point, the distance is 25 km, and from Salla to the Hautajärvi starting point, 40 km. The nearest railway station is in Kemijärvi (130 km), but the best coach connections are from Oulu and Rovaniemi. The nearest airport is located in Kuusamo.
To the Hiking Trail
The Karhunkierros Trail can be accessed from Hautajärvi village, the Ristikallio parking area at Sallantie, the Oulanka Visitor Centre or Camping Ground, Juuma village, and Ruka village.
Along the Karhunkierros Trail, there are also several options for day trails in Oulanka National Park.
By Coach to the Karhunkierros Trail
The Karhunkierros Trail coach runs on weekdays on the Kuusamo - Ruka - Käylä - Ristikallio - route. Connections to the Oulanka Visitor Centre, Juuma and Hautajärvi vary according to the season. Karhunkierros Trail coach timetable (ruka.fi).
The airport bus is available to all visitors in addition to air passengers. Airport bus timetables (visitsalla.fi).
There is also a bus connection to Kemijärvi train station from Kuusamo, timetables at matkahuolto.fi
By Air to the Karhunkierros Trail
From scheduled flights to Kuusamo (finavia.fi), there is an airport bus connection to Salla via Ruka, Käylä, Ristikallio, and Hautajärvi. The airport bus is available to all visitors in addition to air passengers. Airport bus timetables (visitsalla.fi).
By Karhunkierros Trail Taxi to the Karhunkierros Trail
The taxi services in the Ruka area provide rides at a discounted rate with ridesharing to get you to the Karhunkierros Trail. Call the taxi and let them know the date and time, plus the number of passengers requiring transport to the Karhunkierros Trail. Further information on Karhunkierros Trail Taxi (ruka.fi).
By Car to the Karhunkierros Trail
- Rukatunturi, ski stadium parking area. Hiihtostadionintie 3a, Kuusamo. We recommend parking your car in the Hiihtostadionintie parking area. From the ski stadium, you can use the escalator to get to Ruka village to start your hike, or take a bus to the Hautajärvi and Ristikallio starting points.
- Hautajärvi/Napapiiri Café parking area. Hautajärventie 414, Hautajärvi. Open all year. Payment 10 €/day (more information at Napapiiri Café (napapiiricafe.fi)).
- Ristikallio parking area. Sallantie 174, Salla. Open all year.
- Oulanka Visitor Centre. Liikasenvaarantie 132, Kuusamo. Open all year.
- Juuma parking area. Juumantie 143, Kuusamo. Winter maintenance usually from the start of the winter holidays in mid/late February.
- Savilampi parking area. The nearest address is Teeriahontie 10, Salla. From Urriaavantie, you turn onto Teeriahontie, drive for 1 km and turn left, then drive 5.5 km along the forest road to reach the parking area at the end of the road. Oulanka Canyon is signposted along road 950 and at all crossroads. No winter maintenance.
Further information on Oulanka National Park trails and their starting points.