Ilmakkiaapa Directions and Maps
Ilmakkiaapa is located some 35 km north of Sodankylä along the main road 4 (E75), on the western side of the Vajukoski basin.
- From Sodankylä, drive 35 km north along main road 4 (E75). By Ilmakkiaapa there is a parking area beside the road with signposts for the duckboard-covered trail.
By Public Transportation
- Buses run daily along main road 4 from Sodankylä to Ivalo and from Ivalo to Sodankylä. Timetables can be found on the pages of Matkahuolto (matkahuolto.fi).
Starting Points for Excursions
- Along main road 4 by Ilmakkiaapa there is a parking area which is in use all the year round. The duckboard trail to the bird-watching tower begins by the parking area.
- Topographic map number U444 Peurasuvanto, 1:50 000. These maps can be purchased from Karttakeskus and the offices of the National Land Survey of Finland.
- GT tiekartta Pohjois-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland North, 2013, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.