Paistunturi Wilderness Area Directions and Maps
Paistunturi Wilderness Area is located in the very northern end of the Northern Lapland. On its northern and western side is the valley of the River Tenojoki, on the eastern side of the area runs the main road 4 and on the southern side the road 92 to Karigasniemi.
- The main road 4 from the northern side of the village of Kaamanen to Utsjoki runs on the eastern side of the wilderness area.
- To get to the southern and the eastern side, drive on the road 92 (Kaamanen - Karigasniemi).
- The road 970 (from Utsjoki to Karigasniemi), which follows the course of the River Tenojoki, runs on the northern and the western side of the wilderness area.
- There is no official car relocation service, but you can ask taxi drivers and companies offering services for tourists.
- Driving directions to Siida.
By Public Transportation
- To the eastern part of the area, there is a coach service from Inari and Utsjoki (local service Ivalo-Nuorgam, express services Rovaniemi - Tana/Vadsö and from Utsjoki direction on the return of this service). Timetables (matkahuolto.fi). From the village of Utsjoki, it is about 5 km to the wilderness area.
- To the southern part of the area, there is a coach connection from Inari (local services Ivalo - Karigasniemi, Oulu - Karasjoki). If coming from Utsjoki (express service Vadsö/Tana - Rovaniemi and local service Nuorgam - Ivalo), you need to change at Kaamanen to the coach coming from Inari. Timetables (matkahuolto.fi). A good place to get off is, for example, at Sulaoja, about 10 km before Karigasniemi, where the Kevo Trail starts. From Sulaoja, it is about 5 km to the wilderness area.
- To get to the western and the northern side of the area, you need to take a taxi from Utsjoki or Karigasniemi. From the road 970 (Karigasniemi - Utsjoki), the distance to the wilderness area is 2 - 10 km.
- Opas.matka.fi provides information on public transportation to Paistunturi (opas.matka.fi)
Starting Points for Excursions
- Parking areas are located in the Utsjoki village (address:Miessipolku 4), next to Mantojärvi Church (northeastern side, information board), at Lake Kenesjärvi (northeastern side, information board) and at Sulaoja (southeastern side, information board).
- Starting Points for Trails
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps nos X433, X434, W443 and W444, 1:50 000, National Land Survey of Finland 2008 - 2009. The maps are sold by Siida - Northern Lapland Nature Centre, Ivalo Customer Servicek, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Utsjoki-Kevo ulkoilukartta: Utsjoki-Kevo outdoor map, 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2015. The map is sold by Nature Centre Siida, Ivalo Customer Service and Karttakeskus.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. Map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Kevo Paistunturit, water resistant map, 1:25 000 and 1:50 000, Calazo Förlag 2016. Map is sold for example by Northern Lapland Nature Centre Siida and Ivalo Customer Service.
Map Sales Points
- Siida - Northern Lapland Nature Centre