Tarvantovaara Wilderness Area Directions and Maps
Tarvantovaara Wilderness Area is located in the middle of the municipality of Enontekiö. Main road 21 (E 8) runs just outside the wilderness area's southern boundary. The village of Kultima is located next to the southern boundary. Road 93 (Hetta- Kautokeino) is to the east of the area and leads through the villages of Leppäjärvi and Palojärvi. The northern boundary of the wilderness area follows the Finnish-Norwegian border.
- When going to the villages of Leppäjärvi and Palojärvi take road 93 from the village Hetta; the municipal centre of Enontekiö. Leppäjärvi is approximately 20 km and Palojärvi a bit under 30 km from Hetta.
- To reach the village of Kaaresuvanto from the south take road 21 which follows the Finnish-Swedish border. Kaaresuvanto is 90 km north of the village of Muonio, which in turn is 230 km north of Rovaniemi and about 80 km from Kittilä.
- To reach the village of Kultima on the southern boundary of the wilderness area take main road 21 from the village of Muonio to the village of Kuttanen and turn onto the smaller road which leads to Kultima.
- Driving directions to Fell Lapland Visitor Centre.
By Public Transportation
- Coaches (matkahuolto.fi) travel from Rovaniemi to Hetta, the municipal centre of Enontekiö.
- A coach (matkahuolto.fi) travels daily from Rovaniemi to the village of Kaaresuvanto.
- There are flights to Kittilä year-round. From Kittilä airport visitors can continue their journey by coach or by airport taxi (enontekiolapland.com).
- The railway station which is easiest to reach from the wilderness area is the one in Rovaniemi. Overnight trains, which can transport cars, travel daily from southern Finland to Rovaniemi. Train timetables (vr.fi). Timetables (matkahuolto.fi) for connecting coaches from Rovaniemi.
Starting Points for Excursions
- Good starting points for excursions into the wilderness area are the villages of Kultima and Leppäjärvi, as well as, the area surrounding the village of Palojärvi. The best starting point for the Kaaresuvanto-Syväjärvi Trail is at the village of Kaaresuvanto.
- Starting points
- Kaaresuvanto Lätäseno Tarvantovaara, waterproof topographic map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2021. The maps are sold are by Kilpisjärvi and Fell Lapland Visitor Centre, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartat: Topographic maps V422 and W411, 1:50 000. The maps are sold are by Fell Lapland Visitor Centre, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. Map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points
- Kultimantie 984, Kultima
- Ruijantie 2019, Leppäjärvi
- Ruijantie 2850, Palojärvi
- Käsivarrentie 3686, Kaaresuvanto