Katanpää Fortress Island
Katanpää served as a fortress island during the First World War. Today, Katanpää is a culturally historically valuable attraction. The island has barracks and a wooden water tower, two artillery batteries and the cobbled cannon roads leading to them.
The island's nature is versatile: shore cliffs, deep ravines, ancient rocky beaches and ancient forests.
In summer, visitors can reach the island by ferry from both Uusikaupunki and Kustavi. Read more about Katanpää Island.
Kustavi, Coordinates (WGS84): P 60˚36, 838' I 21˚10, 774'
Directions and maps
- The nearest port accessible by car: Pleikiläntie 1547 Kustavi
- Topographic map 1:50 000 L323 Kustavi
- Basic map 1:25 000 L3232 Lypyrtti
Services in Katanpää
- Guest harbour
- Depth 2–6 metres
- 80 moorings
- Buoy mooring
- Harbour information (katanpaa.fi, in finnish)
- Harbour café (katanpaa.fi, in finnish)
- Restaurant (katanpaa.fi, in finnish)
- Nature trails
- Observation tower
- Campfire site
- Cooking shelter
- Dry toilets
- Camping area
- Water point
Trips to Katanpää Fortress Island
- Cruises (katanpaa.fi, in finnish)
- Metsähallitus' partner companies offer boat trips to Katanpää on request.
- Lighting any campfires is strictly forhibited if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Always check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue. There are no cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue on the island.
- You have to bring your own drinking water
- Pets must be kept on a leash when moving around the island.
- Keep to the trails during the period 1.5 – 15.7 in order not to disturb the birdlife during the nesting season.
- Read more about mobile phone coverage (112.fi).
- Protecting yourself against ticks and insects
- Check which fishing licenses you need (eraluvat.fi).
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency centre attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.