Services in Bothnian Bay National Park
Because of the coronavirus, safe distances should be kept even in nature, and thorough hand hygiene should be followed at huts, campfire sites and after using the toilet. Metsähallitus' policies and guidelines will be updated as the general corona guidelines become more specific. Check our website for the current situation: www.nationalparks.fi/coronavirusguidelines.
Customer Service and Guidance
- Please contact Liminka Bay Visitor Centre.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the Bothnian Bay national park. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés, Restaurants and Shops
- There are several cafés, restaurants and markets in the towns of Kemi (visitkemi.fi) and Tornio (haparandatornio.com).
- Campfires can only be lit at the north-end of Selkä-Sarvi Island and on Vähä-Huituri Island at designated capfire sites.
- Campfire sites have firewood shelters and dry toilets.
- Making open fires is always prohibited at both marked campfire sites and when fires are permitted by the land owner if a forest fire warning has been issued for the area (ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- Visitors must bring their own drinking water. The water of the well in the Selkä-Sarvi Island fishing village is not suitable for drinking.
- There are no waste-bins in the park. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- There are dry toilets at the north and south end of Selkä-Sarvi Island, at the Vähä-Huituri campfire site and in the fishing village on Pensaskari Island.
A camping site can be found at the north-end of Selkä-Sarvi Island.
Open and Reservable Wilderness Huts
- Suitable places for boaters to spend the night are the excursion harbour at the north-end of Selkä-Sarvi Island and the landing places on the islands of Iso-Huituri and Pensaskari.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- Guestharbours and hotels can be found in Kemi (visitkemi.fi, in Finnish) and Tornio (haparandatornio.fi).
Services for Boaters
- The waterways to the National Park's islands are not marked.
- From Tornio an 8 metre deep route cuts through the National Park.
Excursion Harbours and Landing Places
- The excursion harbour at the north-end of Selkä-Sarvi island can fit 10-20 boats, with a maximum draught of 2,5 metres, depending on how the boats are anchored. Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 65° 36.9' lon: 24° 12.0' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7279868 E: 371038.
- At the north-end of Pensaskari island there is a harbour (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 65° 40.7750' lon: 24° 13.7482' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7287001 E: 372696) and a buoy (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 65° 40.7685' lon: 24° 13.4425' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7287000 E: 372462). Overnight stay is not allowed at Pensaskari. For overnight stay one should use the harbour at Selkä-Sarvi island.
- The shores of island are shallow and rocky, so landing on most shores is impossible with a large boat. A rowboat or dinghy are the best way to access these shores.
Boat Launch Ramps
- The sailing centre (purjehduskeskus) at Ulleninranta in Kemi has a concrete covered boat launch ramp.
- The Myllyniemi service harbour at Sotisaari in Kemi has a gravel covered boat launch ramp.
- Other places with boat launch ramps are Letto inTornio and Ajos in Kemi.
Other Services for Boaters in the Surrounding Area
- The sailing centre (purjehduskeskus) (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 65° 43.7' lon: 24° 33.5' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7291805 E: 388025) at Ulleninranta in Kemi has facilities such as; electrical supply points, suction draining, chemical toilet waste disposal, showers, a laundry machine, waste bins and a public phone.
- The Myllyniemi service harbour (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 65° 46.4' lon: 24° 30.4' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7296910 E: 385856) on Sotisaari Island in Kemi has facilities such as; electrical supply points, drinking water distribution, a café, toilets and waste bins.
- Toranda service harbour in Tornio, restaurant, water, electrical supply points, shower, sauna.