Viiankiaapa Directions and Maps
Viiankiaapa Mire Reserve is located on the eastern side of main road E75, approximately 20 km north of Sodankylä.
- In the village of Kersilö, 20 km form Sodakylä to the north, there is a parking area in use all year round and a starting point to the nature trail.
- You can reach the other nature trail by driving to the village of Siurunmaa, about 12 km from Sodankylä.
- Coaches that take you to the village of Kersilö run daily along main road 4 (E75) from Sodankylä to Ivalo and from Ivalo to Sodankylä. There is a regular coach service to the village of Siurunmaa on weekdays. For timetables, go to the Matkahuolto website (matkahuolto.fi).
Starting Points for Excursions
There are two nature trails at Viiankiaapa.
- From Sodankylä, drive 20 km north along road 4 (E75) to the village of Kersilö. At the northern end of the village, turn to the road to Moskuvaara. After 1 km turn right to Viiankiaavantie. Again after 1 km driving the road Viiankiaavantie turns left from the crossroads and after 500m you will be at the starting point for the nature trails.
- To reach the starting point of the other nature trail, drive about 12 km from Sodankylä towards Tanhua on road 967 (Savukoskentie), to the village of Siurunmaa. Turn north on the road Kuokkasentie along which there is a parking area and an information board. The distance from road 967 to the starting point of the trail is about 1,2 km.
- Topographic maps number U443 Sattanen and U521 Kelujärvi, 1:50 000. These maps can be purchased from Karttakeskus and the offices of the National Land Survey of Finland.
- GT tiekartta Pohjois-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland North, 2013, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.