Kolovesi National Park Trails
Nature and Hiking Trails
In the National Park there is a Nature Trail and are two Hiking Trails, where you can find out about the forest ecosystems of the area.
Starting Points for Trails
Nahkiaissalo Nature Trail and Hirviniemi Hiking Trail are in the south-east part of the Park, in Selkälahti area. The trails are on the mainland, so they are easily accessible also by car. The trails have the same starting point. Coming from Enonkoski, the trails are about 8 km after the ferry at Hanhivirta. From the sign "Kolovesi kansallispuisto Nahkiaissalo" it is a couple of kilometres to the parking area, which is the starting and ending point of the trails. Boaters can start the trails from the camping site at Lohilahti Bay.
Before "Kolovesi kansallispuisto Nahkiaissalo" sign there is a brown and white sign "Kolovesi kansallispuisto Käkövesi", about 3,5 km after the Hanhivirta ferry. If you turn there, you will end up at Käkövesi boat launching place instead of the trails.
Mäntysalo Trail is in the northern end of Mäntysalo Island. The starting point of the trail, and the mooring place are on the shore of Mäntysalo Island opposite the northern end of Pitkäsaari Island. Because of its location, the Nature Trail is also accessible to motor boaters.
- Nahkiaissalo Nature Trail, 3,3 km, is in difficult terrain. The trail is marked with orange circles. On this trail you can learn about old-growth forests and their flora and fauna. The terrain changes from steep slopes to damp hollows. This circular trail takes about 2 hours.
- Services: At Lohilahti Bay camping site there are a campfire site, a dry toilet, and a place where it is possible to swim in the lake. There is no official swimming spot in the area.
- Sights: Before and after the camping site at Lohilahti Bay, there are places with beautiful scenery. Also by the side of the trail there is an impression where a tar-burning pit used to be.
- Mäntysalo Trail, 3,8 km, is in really difficult and varied terrain. The trail is marked with orange circles. When after the short section in the beginning the trail is separated into two, it is recommended to choose the path on the left hand side. From the trail it is possible to admire the forests of Kolovesi, which vary from old-growth mixed-wood forests in their natural state to cultivated forests. It is advisable to have at least 2 hours for hiking this trail.
- Services and sights: There are two places where hikers can stop for a break and to look at the beautiful lake scenery. When hiking to the direction recommended, the first one of these place is at about half way.
- Hirviniemi Trail, 1,6 km, is a one-way trail, which runs mainly on forest and tractor roads. The final part is a narrow lakeside trail. The trail is marked with orange circles.
- Services: At Hirviniemi camping site there are two campfire sites and a dry toilet. It is possible to swim there but there is no official swimming site in the area.
- A canoe pier
- Sights: Varied forests in many ages and lakeside sceneries.
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.