Services in Siikalahti
Customer Service and Guidance
- Siikalahti Nature Information Hut in Siikalahti Wetland is open during the summer (from april to october). If you're hiking in Siikalahti in the beginning of april or late in october, check if the hut really is open from Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the Nature Reserve
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the nature reserve
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the nature reserve.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
- A cooking shelter and a picnic table have been situated on the grounds of Siikalahti Nature Information Hut. Lighting a campfire is forbidden when there is a forest fire warning in effect.
- The closest shops are located in the centre of Parikkala (parikkala.fi) about 3 km from Siikalahti Nature Reserve.
- There is a well about 20 m behind the nature information hut. The well's water has been tested and it is recommended to boil before using as drinking water. During a dry summer, anticipate that there may not be any water in the well.
- There are no waste bins at campfire site and other structures in the terrain, so each visitor is responsible for the waste that accumulates during his/her stay. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- There is a toilet, as well as an accessible toilet at Siikalahti parking area.
Toilet paper is good to have along.
- You can set up a small short time camp in the vicinity of Siikalahti Nature Information Hut. The yard can accommodate at the most eight small tents or three army tents.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- More information on private tourist enterprises in the surrounding area is available on the Visit Parikkala website (visitparikkala.com).
- There is another parking area 300 m from Siikalahti parking area in the direction of Kaukola. Next to this parking area there is a lookout platform, which is accessible by wheelchair. The lookout platform is one of the best places to observe birds and hear their calls.
- There is an accessible toilet at Siikalahti parking area.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The closest shops, banks, service stations and other services can be found in the centre of Parikkala (parikkala.fi), which is located about 3 km from Siikalahti.
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.