Services along Nordkalott Trail
The services mentioned on this page are those found on the part of Nordkalott Trail running through Finland, except wilderness huts in which case those in Norway and Sweden are included.
Water is mostly drinkable in the area's rivers. However, water is not examined and the use is at one's own risk. If the weather is warm, water should be boiled. In the vicinity of the huts, water can be taken upstream of the nearest river and far enough from the buildings.
- It is the responsibility of each hiker to dispose of waste that accumulates during your trip.
- There are waste bins at all wilderness huts except Kuonjarjoki wilderness hut.
- You can get more information on recycling and waste management on the Hiking Without Littering page.
Ready chopped firewood is supplied to all open and reservable wilderness huts in early spring. As wood is brought to Käsivarsi Wilderness Area from quite far away and transportation is expensive we ask that visitors do not burn firewood outside of wilderness huts.
Maintenance and Management
- In Finland Metsähallitus is responsible for transportation of firewood and management of waste on Nordkalott Trail. More information is available at Fell Lapland Visitor Centre.
- During peak seasons Kilpisjärvi Visitor Centre accepts feedback on all areas of maintenance. They then pass on all comments on.
Open Wilderness Huts and Reservable Wilderness Huts in Finland
There are both open wilderness huts and reservable wilderness huts along Nordkalott Trail. You can stay over night for 1 to 2 nights in open wilderness huts or rent a bunk from a reservable wilderness hut.
- Metsähallitus has 8 open and 6 reservable wilderness huts on Nordkalott Trail. The open wilderness huts at Lake Saarijärvi, the River Kuonjarjoki, Lake Pitsusjärvi and Halti Fell are located in the same building as the reservable wilderness hut there. The open and reservable wilderness huts at Lake Meekonjärvi are about a half kilometre from each other. Kopmajoki open wilderness hut is situated near the Norwegian border.
- Kuohkimajärvi open and reservable wilderness hut
- Saarijärvi open and reservable wilderness hut
- Kuonjarjoki open and reservable wilderness hut
- Pitsusjärvi open and reservable wilderness hut
- Halti open wilderness hut
- Halti open and reservable wilderness hut
- Meekonjärvi open and reservable wilderness hut
- Kopmajoki open wilderness hut
- Contact Kilpisjärvi Visitor Centre to make reservations for wilderness huts. When the visitor centre is closed, contact Fell Lapland Visitor Centre. These customer service points will also answer questions about wilderness huts and trails.
Wilderness Huts in Norway
- A majority of the wilderness huts along the Norwegian part of Nordkalott Trail are owned by Den Norske Turistforening (english.turistforeningen.no): DNT. There is a standard key for all the huts owned by DNT. Visitors can get the key from Kilpisjärvi customs for a deposit, which will be returned when you return the key. Customs tel. int. +358 295 527 007.
- More information on DNT huts gives Troms Turlag (troms.turistforeningen.no, in Norwegian)
- Along the Nordkalott Trail there are huts owned by Statskog (statskog.no, in Norwegian)
Wilderness Huts in Sweden
- The wilderness huts on the part of the trail running through Sweden are owned by Svenska Turistförening (svenskaturistforeningen.se): STF. During peak season there is a STF employee at each hut who accepts payment for the huts and can give information and guidance.
- Huts along Sweden's Kungsleden Trail have kiosks which sell basic necessities incl. foodstuff.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
Information on lodging in the area surrounding Kilpisjärvi Village can be found on the Tosilappi website (tosilappi.fi).
Information on renting hiking equipment:
Tourist entrepreneurs operating in the National Park need a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus. A fee is charged for using the service infrastructure for business activities.
- See Cooperation with nature tourism business (metsa.fi).
- Usage fees are paid in the Eräluvat online store (eraluvat.fi)
- Contact form for entrepreneurs (webropol.com).
- Metsähallitus organizes study trips and training for co-entrepreneurs.