Services in Tarvantovaara Wilderness Area
Customer Service and Guidance
- Information on the area, sale of maps and fishing, hunting and snowmobile permits.
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations
Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the Käsivarsi Wilderness Area. Some of those also offer services in the Tarvantovaara Wilderness Area. These enterprises have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism (metsa.fi) when operating in the wilderness area.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops, Kiosks, Cafés and Restaurants
- There are shops in the villages of Hetta.
- There are cafés and kiosks in the villages of Kaaresuvanto, Hetta and Palojärvi.
- Restaurants can be found in the villages of Kaaresuvanto and Hetta.
- More information is available on the municipality of Enontekiö website (tosilappi.fi).
Campfire Sites and Wilderness Huts
- It is easiest to prepare food at open wilderness huts, which all have an iron stove.
- In Northern Lapland Metsähallitus allows building campfires if you use fallen branches and twigs as firewood. When selecting a spot for your campfire use an old campfire site if you can find one.
- Lighting campfires is forbidden when there is a forest fire warning in effect.
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- The water in the area's rivers is usually safe to drink, but during hot weather it should be boiled first.
- The wilderness area's two open wilderness huts still have waste bins. Visitors are encouraged to bring there own waste out of the wilderness area.
- Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- Hiking without Littering
- There is a dry toilet at each open wilderness hut.
- Camping is an Everyman's Right (ymparisto.fi) in the wilderness area.
Open Wilderness Huts
There are two open wilderness huts within Tarvantovaara Wilderness Area. They are intended for one to two night stays.
- Salvasjärvi open wilderness hut is located by the Norwegian border on the north west side of Salvastunturi Fell on the east shore of Lake Salvasjärvi. It is situated by the Hetta-Kilpisjärvi snowmobile track.
- Syväjärvi open wilderness hut is located on the south shore of the River Jietajoki. The River Jietajoki has its source on the southwestern edge of Lake Syväjärvi. The hut is 2 km down stream from the lake.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- Tourist enterprises in the villages of Kaaresuvanto, Kuttanen, Leppäjärvi, Palojärvi and Hetta have rental cottages.
- There are camping grounds at the villages of Kaaresuvanto, Hetta, Leppäjärvi and Palojärvi.
- Hotels can be found in the villages of Hetta and Kaaresuvanto.
- Caravan parking areas with electricity can be found at Hetta, Leppäjärvi and Palojärvi.
- For further information see the municipality of Enontekiö website (tosilappi.fi) and on the Lapland tourism website (lapland.fi).
- Enterprises that have cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus offer services in the Tarvantovaara Wilderness Area.
- There are no specific accessible services in Tarvantovaara Wilderness Area.
- The exhibition space in Fell Lapland Visitor Centre is accessible by wheelchair. The visitor centre has an accessible.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The closest bank, ATM, post office and pharmacy are in the village of Hetta the centre of the municipality of Enontekiö. Hetta is 20 km from the wilderness area's southern boundary.
- There are medical centres in the villages of Hetta and Kaaresuvanto.
- There are shops in the village of Hetta.
- There are a fuel distribution points in the villages of Palojärvi, Hetta and Kaaresuvanto. There are also service stations in Hetta and Kaaresuvanto.
- Fishing permits are sold by Fell Lapland Visitor Centre and tourist enterprises in the area.
- Find out more about visiting Lapland (lapland.fi/visit/).
Tourist entrepreneurs operating in the National Park need a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus. A fee is charged for using the service infrastructure for business activities.
- See Cooperation with nature tourism business (metsa.fi).
- Usage fees are paid in the Eräluvat online store (eraluvat.fi)
- Contact form for entrepreneurs (webropol.com).
- Metsähallitus organizes study trips and training for co-entrepreneurs.