Services in Kurjenrahka National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- More information from +358 206 39 4620 or rannikko(at)metsa.fi
- Kurjenpesä Nature Information Hut
- Opening hours: Daily 8 am - 8 pm
- At the Nature Information Hut you get information on the National Park, and the exhibition displays the mire from the point of view of the Crane (Grus grus).
- There are no customer service officers at the Nature Information Hut.
- Kurkela conferensroom, with a kitchen, is situated near the Kurjenpesä naturecottage. The conferensroom can only be hired during daytime. 50 € / day. You can make a reservation through Mika Lehto, tel +358 400 274523, info(at)luontotietotoimisto.fi
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national park
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, where to buy and prepare
Campfire Sites and Cooking Shelters
- Campfire sites are located by the lean-to shelters. In addition, there is a campfire place at Takaniitynvuori Hill, south of Pukkipalo.
- There is a cooking shelter on the grounds of Kurjenpesä Nature Information Hut, on the shore of Lake Savojärvi.
Please note that lighting campfires is also forbidden at campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a shelter and a flue.
- There is a water tap at the Kurjenpesä Nature Information Hut.
- When hiking in the area, you should carry enough drinking water with you. The water in the lakes is not suitable for drinking. The water in the well of Lakjärvi is not suitable for drinking either.
- There are no waste-bins in the forest. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dty toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area.
- There is a recycling point at Kurjenpesä Nature Information Hut.
- Read more about Hiking without littering.
- There is a dry toilet at each campfire site and lean-to shelter. There is a dry toilet for the disabled at Kurjenpesä Nature Information Hut.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- Lean-to shelter of Lakjärvi is located North of Pukkipalo
- Lean-to shelter of Vajosuo Mire is located at Lavamäki, on the southern side of Vajosuo Mire. It lies close to Vajosuo Rental Hut
- Lean-to shelter of Töykkälä is located on the southern side of Kurjenrahka Mire
- There is a rental hut at Vajosuo.
- Kurkela conferensroom can be hired during daytime. Price is 50 €. Reservations: Mika Lehto, tel +358 400 274523, info(at)luontotietotoimisto.fi.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
In Rantapiha there is a camping ground where camping is free of charged, it is also possilbe to hire a room in the main building .
There are local accommodation and nature tourism enterprises. More information can be got from the webpages of the municipalities in the area.
- From the Kurjenpesä parking area, it is possible to get to Kuhankuono boundary mark and to Kurjenpesä Nature Information Hut by wheelchair or with a baby pram. No winter maintenance to the boundary mark!
- At the Nature Information Hut, there are a dry toilet and a cooking shelter suitable for the disabled.
- Exhibition inside the Nature Hut is also accessible by wheelchair.
- From the yard of Kurjenpesä there is a specially built route for wheelchairs that leads to the lakeside of Savojärvi. The dock by the shore is accessible by wheelchair or with a baby pram.
- On the grounds, there is also a scenic lookout place, where you can get a view over the Lake Savojärvi.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The nearest place for more services is the municipality centre of Yläne: pharmacy, bank, post office, petrol stations, shops, kiosks, restaurant, cafés and taxis. More information on Pöytyä (poytya.fi, in Finnish).
- Rantapiha, which can be found on the map of the National Park, is located on the shore of Lake Savojärvi. It is a recreation area owned by the municipality of Nousiainen, and there are a cooking shelter, dry toilets, sauna, camping ground and a swimming place, which all hikers can use.
- The sauna is open for everyone during the summer, other times it is a reservable sauna. A a small fee is charged for the sauna.
- The kiosk is open during the summer, from May till the beginning of October.
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.