Services in Teuravuoma - Kivijärvenvuoma
Customer Service and Guidance
- The nearest Metsähallitus customer service point is the Kellokas Visitor Centre in Äkäslompolo, which is approximately 30 km from Kurtakko.
- Information boards and area maps in Finnish are located in the vicinity of the parking areas of all the starting points.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
- Campfires in the protected mire area are only permitted at the Saarijärvensaajo lean-to shelter. Outside the protected mire area, we recommend using the existing campfire sites located along the trails.
- The campfire sites along the Telatie trail outside the protected mire area are located at the lean-to shelters at Särkilehto, the Kurtakko summer cowshed (Municipality of Kolari) and the Venejärvi starting point and at the Jämäränoja campfire site.
- Lighting an open fire - even at the campfire sites - if a wildfire warning has been issued for the region is strictly forbidden.
- More information on lighting campfires.
- There is a drinking-water well at the Särkilehto lean-to shelter. The Municipality of Kolari is responsible for monitoring the quality of the water.
- Water from lakes, rivers and streams should be boiled for a few minutes before drinking, as the water quality varies by region and according to the temperature.
- Look at the tips for outdoors drinking water in Hiking in Finland -pages.
- There are no waste receptacles on the wilderness sites, so waste disposal is handled by hikers themselves. This means that every hiker is responsible for taking their litter to waste sorting. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There are dry toilets, which also serve as composts, near the lean-to shelters and campfire sites.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- There are 5 lean-to shelters along the Telatie trail that are indicated in a map of the area. There is a campfire site, firewood shed and outhouse at every lean-to shelter.
- Camping is permitted in accordance with Finland's ‘everyman's right' (environment.fi), but we recommend setting up camp near the lean-to shelters.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- More information on staying overnight in the Teuravuoma-Kivijärvenvuoma area is available on the Ylläs tourism information (yllas.fi).
- There are no accessible services in the Teuravuoma-Kivijärvenvuoma area.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- There are cafés, restaurants and stores in Ylläsjärvi ja Äkäslompolo Villages. Information on these can be found on the Ylläs tourism information (yllas.fi).