Kuuselankämppä, Rental Hut (so called Kuuselan kämppä)
Because of the coronavirus, safe distances should be kept even in nature, and thorough hand hygiene should be followed at huts, campfire sites and after using the toilet. Metsähallitus' policies and guidelines will be updated as the general corona guidelines become more specific. Check our website for the current situation: www.nationalparks.fi/coronavirusguidelines.
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Kuuselankämppä rental hut. See where to pick up the keys.
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä and in Ivalo. The hut was built in 1963 by the idyllic Lake Luirojärvi, at the foot of Sokosti, the highest fell in the area.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä (sodankyla.fi, in Finnish), Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Kuuselankämppä, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 12.5531' lon: 28° 01.2810' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7566540 E: 542309
- The hut is situated on the south-eastern shore of Lake Luirojärvi
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails.
- The closest huts are the Tuiskukuru open and reservable wilderness hut, the Lankojärvi open and reservable wilderness hut, Hammaskuru open and reservable wilderness hut, the Muorravaarakka open and reservable wilderness hut, the Muorravaarakanruoktu rent turf hut, the Luirojärvi open and reservable wilderness, the Rajankämppä open wilderness hut, and the Karapulju open wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Kiilopää is ca. 35 km and from Aittajärvi ca. 25 km.
57 € / night (incl. VAT 10%).
- A sleeping platform, matresses and pillows.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the lake.
- The sauna is in a separate building.
You can pick up the keys from Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen, Ivalo Customer Service, Fell Centre Kiilopää (kiilopaa.fi), Hotel Samperin Savotta (samperi.com), Tulppion Majat (tulppionmajat.fi, in Finnish), Sodankylän Väri- ja Urheilu Simonen Oy (simonen.fi, in Finnish) or from Vuotso JJR Pehkonen Oy tel. +358 442 432 449.
Please check the opening hours by phone, from www-pages or by e-mail.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
The sauna fee is 7 € / adult, 4 € / child (under 7 years) or for a member of a group (a group min. 10 persons). Payment in advance in Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or Ivalo Customer Service. The sauna fee is possible to pay also in Eräluvat webstore (eraluvat.fi).
The sauna is available for use by all hikers, so you should be considerate of others and not stay too long in the sauna.During peak seasons you should agree bathing times with other hikers, for example, take turns between men and women at alternate hours.
- The hut is not suited for the disabled.
You can camp by the campfire sites.
The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- There is a recycling point at the rental hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.