Sights and Activities on the Island of Seili
On Seili, you can explore the island's grim history and the related Museum Church, and enjoy magnificent views of the Archipelago Sea.
- The Museum Church of Seili was built in 1733–1734, at the time when a leper hospital operated on the island. Separated from the rest of the congregation by a fence, the area for lepers can still be seen in the church. It features a special altar for communion and used to have a separate entrance. In summer, the church hosts church services, concerts and other cultural activities. Guided tours of the church are available by advance booking. More information on the history of the Museum Church and entrance fees, opening hours and guided tour services.
- Nature trail (1,7 km) runs through same herb-rich forests and beautiful heritage landscpapes on the southern side of the island.
- Hiking trail (1.3 km) introduces visitors to key locations on the island of Seili. The signage on the route describe the nature and history of the island. Visitors should follow the route marked on the map. The trail runs along a gravel road, which is easy to navigate but hilly.
- Nature on the island is a rich mix of lush herb-rich forests, beautiful heritage landscapes and rugged coniferous woods. Explore the nature on Seili island
- In order to have more services on the island, there is a cooperation contract between Parks & Wildlife Finland, Skärgårdskompaniet and Turku University. In the summertime the island offers accommodation, restaurant services and daily guided tours.
- The Archipelago Research Institute (utu.fi), Centre for Environmental Research of the University of Turku began operating on the premises of the former mental hospital on the island of Seili in 1964. The Seili Field Station studies the ecosystems of the Archipelago Sea and the Baltic Sea as a whole.
- Hook and line fishing, ice fishing and fishing with a simple herring rig are permitted under everyman's rights. The fisheries management fee (eraluvat.fi) is required if you are 18-64 years of age and will be fishing with lures or traps or crayfishing.