Instructions and Rules in Ruunaa Hiking Area
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.
Instructions on Exploring Ruunaa Hiking Area
In the hiking area, the following are
- Moving around and camping according to Everyman's right, although it is recommended that visitors camp in the designated places.
- Picking berries and mushrooms.
- Mountain biking is allowed according to everyman's rights. Always stay on clearly visible tracks and pay attention to other hikers.
Hook-and-line fishing and ice fishing at Lake Neitijärvi and Kattilalampi Pond.
Lure fishing at Lake Neitijärvi and Kattilalampi Pond. Persons aged 18-64 years must pay the fisheries management fee (eräluvat.fi). If you fish with more than one rod on Lake Neitijärvi and Kattilalampi Pond, you also need Metsähallitus' angling permit no 7413 for Southern Finland (eräluvat.fi). Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish).
- A campfire is only allowed at sites marked for this purpose.
- Moving in Ruunaa Nature Reserve inside the 2 - 3 km wide frontier zone which goes along the border. The zone has been marked with signs and with yellow paint on trees or poles. Special permission is needed for entering the frontier zone.
- Fishing, Ruunaa Rapids (no. 7525) is a Metsähallitus recreational fishing area, in which an area-specific fishing permit and fisheries management permit are required for fishing (see fishing in rapids). Exceptions to this are Lake Neitijärvi and Kattilampi Pond, where general fishing rights apply, i.e. hook-and-line fishing and ice fishing as well as fishing with a fisheries management fee (eräluvat.fi) and Metsähallitus recreational fishing permit for Southern Finland (eräluvat.fi). The general fishing rights have been removed everywhere except Lake Neitijärvi and Kattilampi Pond. Fishing from a boat is permitted throughout the region. Use of a motor boat for fishing (trolling) and anchoring boats in rapids and running areas are prohibited.
- Hunting is allowed in an area of about 110 sq.km. but to the ensure safety of hikers and fishermen in the area, hunting is forbidden between Lieksanjoki River and Koskireitti Trail around the rapids, and on Lieksanjoki River itself.
- Driving snowmobiles, as it is only allowed on snowmobile tracks.
- To ensure the safety of skiers, we do not recommend skiing on snowmobile tracks.
- Lighting campfires if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue and a roof.
- Pets running at large
- Driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- Using jet skis or all-terrain vehicles
- Fishing from an anchored boat in the rapids and currents
- Dragging a lure behind a motor boat
- Water bird hunting
- Leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
- Catching crabs.
- Because of the crayfish pest, catching crabs is forbidden in the area for now.
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the hiking area without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
Equipment and Safety
- Sturdy shoes are needed for the terrain of Ruunaa Hiking Area. On the mire and wetland sections, there are duckboards which can be slippery when it is rainy.
- In May and September, a wet suit keeps you warm if you go into the cold water.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
Toilet paper is good to have along.
Hiking in Finland:
- After the spring floods, the water level usually falls slowly during the summer.
- Snow and ice cover Ruunaa Rapids from November until May.
- During the winter, the ice on the river may be fragile because of currents, which may also move to different places.
- The road to the parking area of Neitikoski is ploughed in the winter. The road 5224 to Ruunaa can be in a bad condition in the spring.
- Ruunaa is one of the most popular hiking destinations in Finland, especially in July and August.
- Fishermen usually arrive at Ruunaa in mid-April when the ice on the rapids is melting. For many people, the beginning of the fishing season is the first weekend of May, when fish planting also starts. The actual peak season for fishing is between the Midsummer festival (around the 24th June) and mid-August.
112 Suomi - mobile application
When an emergency call is being made through the 112 Suomi - mobile application (112.fi) the dispatcher will automatically receive the callers position.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.