Sights and Activities in Vallisaari
Come and experience the magic of Vallisaari and Kuninkaansaari. Be enchanted by history, nature, and the spectacular views of both Helsinki and the sea.
- Alexander Tour (3 km) and the Kuninkaansaari Island Tour (2.5 km) take you safely to the best places, to admire the most magnificent views, and to the rest stops. They can be combined to form a single, longer hike. Visitors are expected to stay on the marked trails in the islands. Information boards have been placed along the trails.
- Vallisaari has a proud military history dating back hundreds of years. The first fortifications on this island were built in the 17th century, at the time when Finland was part of Sweden. The construction of fortifications on the island was most active during the Russian reign. The beautifully crafted buildings, recesses for icons, place names, and the main street remind us of the former occupiers. After Finland gained its independence, Vallisaari was used by the Finnish Defence Forces. Metsähallitus opened this island to visitors in 2016. Find out more about the history of Vallisaari and Kuninkaansaari
- Kuninkaansaari ("King's Island") was named after King Gustav III of Sweden. During the Crimean War in the mid-19th century, Russia, the new occupier of the island, built fortifications on it. Kuninkaansaari also provided the setting for one of the preludes to the Russian revolution, as mutineers shelled Suomenlinna from Vallisaari in 1906. A neck of land, much like a breakwater, provides a land connection from Vallisaari to Kuninkaansaari. Read more about the history of the islands
- Nature on the islands overwhelms the visitor. Vallisaari is the most diverse nature destination in the metropolitan area. Read more about nature in Vallisaari
- The scenery, with the sea, Suomenlinna, and Helsinki in the background, is simply spectacular. These islands provide visitors with new angles on familiar locations.
- Guided tours and other themed programmes take you back in time, to an ancient atmosphere and lore. At the same time, you will learn a great deal about the history and nature of the islands.
- Events on this mysterious island are laden with a special atmosphere. See the list of events
- More information about services, activities and restaurants in Vallisaari can be found on Vallisaari.fi.
Instructions for visitors
Use caution when walking on the islands: familiarise yourself with the instructions, rules, and warnings regarding Vallisaari and Kuninkaansaari. By following the instructions, we foster the well-being of visitors and help to preserve the islands' enjoyable environment, fragile nature, and enchanting cultural heritage.