Simojärvi-Soppana Directions and Maps
The Simojärvi and Soppana areas are located on the south side of main road 81 (Rovaniemi - Kuusamo).
- From the direction of Ranua
- Ranua is about 55 km from Kovajokisuu and 60 km from Yli-Soppananjärvi. From Ranua take road 941 in the direction of Posio. Follow the road for 37 km and then turn left on road 9411 (to Impiö) and drive for 12 km. Then turn left onto Teerivaarantie road. There are black signposts on the road with Korvajokisuu written in white lettering. From Teerivaarantie road visitors can get to all trail starting points. Teerivaarantie road is kept open all winter, but the paths from the road to trail starting points are not ploughed.
- Ranua is about 39 km from Simojärvi fishing harbour. From Ranua take road 942 towards Kemijärvi. After 26 km turn right onto Simojärventie road and follow this for 12 km. Then turn left and after 1 km you will see the fishing harbour on your right.
- From the direction of Rovaniemi
- It is about 110 km from Rovaniemi to Korvajokisuu. From Rovaniemi take road 81 towards Kuusamo. Drive along this road for 60 km. After passing Vanttauskoski turn right onto 942 (road to Ranua) and follow it for 13 km and then turn onto Teerivaarantie road. Drive along Teerivaarantie road for 35 km.
- It is about 96 km from Rovaniemi to Simojärvi fishing harbour. Take road 81 and after passing Vanttauskoski turn right onto road 942 (road to Ranua). Follow road 942 for 25 km and turn left onto Simojärventie road. Drive for 12 km at which point the fishing harbour will be on your left.
- Driving directions to Pilke House Customer Service.
By Public Transportation
- Coaches travel to the Ranua village centre, but there are very few modes of public transportation which travel into the Simojärvi and Soppana areas. Information on the timetables for the coach travelling to Ranua can be found on the Matkahuolto website (matkahuolto.fi).
- You can ask local taxi services about transport in the area. The municipality of Ranua's travel website (www.visitranua.fi) has the contact information for taxis.
- There are four boat launch points in the Simojärvi area. The launch points suited for sailboats and motor boats are Pohjaslahti, Simontaival and Simojärvi fishing harbour.
Starting Points for Excursions
- Matalakangas parking area, which is located on the east side of Lake Simojärvi on Teerivaarantie road near the River Paasonjoki.
- Korvajokisuu parking area is on the east side of Lake Simojärvi. There are signposts to the parking area from Teerivaarantie road.
- There is a parking area near Yli-Soppanajärvi camping area.
- Parking areas are not ploughed during winter.
- Starting points for trails.
- Korouma - Simojärvi virkistyskartta: recreational map 1:50,000, Lapin Maanmittauslaitos 2000. The map is sold by Pilke House Customer Service and by the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Viittakartta Simojärvi: Boating map Simojärvi 1:50,000, Merenkulkulaitos 1981. A map we recommend boaters have. The map is sold by the Finnish Maritime Administration.
- Terrain map S522 Simojärvi 1:50,000. Karttakeskus 2006. The map is sold by the Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- GT tiekartta Pohjois-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland North, 2013, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.