Kivitunturi Area Directions and Maps
Kivitunturi is located in Savukoski municipality in Eastern Lapland.
- When arriving from Pelkosenniemi, follow Savukoskentie (Hwy 965) for approximately 34 kilometres and turn left onto Kivitunturintie. Continue on this gravel road for approximately 10 km and then turn left at the "Kivitunturi" sign at the intersection. The last 0.8 kilometres is gravel road, which is not maintained in the winter. When arriving from Savukoski, follow Savukoskentie (Hwy 965) for 3.7 km and then turn right onto Kivitunturintie.
- Driving directions to Savukoski Visitor Centre Korvatunturi and to Pyhä-Luosto Visitor centre Naava.
By Public Transport
- There is no public transport to or near the starting point.
- There are coaches from Salla, Pelkosenniemi and Sodankylä (www.matkahuolto.fi) Mon-Fri to Savukoski. From the centre of Savukoski it’s possible to take a taxi to the starting point.
- The nearest airport (finavia.fi) is in Rovaniemi.
- The nearest railway stations (vr.fi) are in Rovaniemi and Kemijärvi.
Starting Point of the Nature Trail
- The trailhead for Kivitunturi's main trail, which also leads to the Sotsonportti Circle rail, is located at the Kivitunturi parking place.
- Savukoski Pelkosenniemi Oratunturi, waterproof topographic map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2022.
- GT outdoor map Northern Finland, 1:400 000. Karttakeskus 2016.
Publications by Metsähallitus
Kivitunturi Nature Trail brochure (pdf 2 MB, julkaisut.metsa.fi)
Obs! In summer 2023 bridge construction work affects the trails, see the trails page for more information.