Services in Evo Hiking Area
Customer Service and Guidance
- Metsähallitus, Customer Service, phone +358 206 39 5270, sisasuomi(at)metsa.fi
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the Evo Hiking Area
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national hiking area
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the hiking area.
Meals, where to buy and prepare
Shops, Kiosks and the Canteen
- Häme University of Applied Sciences, Evo (hamk.fi) has a canteen which serves lunch (Mon-Fri) during the school season and also sells coffee, ice cream and sweets.
- The nearest shops are located in Lammi (hameenlinna.fi, in Finnish).
Campfire sites, Cooking Shelters and Lean-to Shelters
There is a campfire site at each lean-to shelter and camping site which are marked in the Ilvesvaellus Trail map. There are lean-to shelters at, for example, the following locations:
- Lake Syrjänalunen
- Lake Valkea Mustajärvi
- Lake Vähä-Keltajärvi
- Lake Savijärvi
- Lake Sorsajärvi
- Lake Koveronjärvi
- There are three cooking shelters around Lakes Niemisjärvet.
Making open fires is always prohibited if a forest fire warning or the grass fire warning has been issued for the area. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue and a roof.
- There is a water tap for hikers during summer season (July 1-August 7, 2022) in the Evokeskus of Häme University of Applied Sciences, Evo (hamk.fi) (Saarelantie 1). The water tap is located a little to the right of the Evokeskus main door, on the wall. Remember to close the tap!
- There is a well Lake Niemisjärvet. Microbiological quality of water is good but it contains magnanese 830 µg/l. WHO recommendates max 400 µg/l magnanese in drinking water.
- There is a new well at Luutajoki Parking area. Microbiological quality of water is good. Chemical tests will be made later.
- There is a natural spring along Syrjäsenalun harjupolku Trail.
- There are two wells in the Evo camp site and the water is tested and can be used.
- There is a natural spring along the trail south of Iso-Tarus.
- The surface water from the lakes, rivers and brooks must be boiled before use. Water in the springs and running water in the brooks is usually good for drinking. However, the quality of the water cannot be monitored, so the use of natural water is at your own risk.
- Look at the tips for outdoors drinking water in Hiking in Finland -pages.
- Read more about the status of wells on the page "What is new".
- There are no waste-bins in the area. Avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area, and take the waste you brought back with you. Biodegradable waste can be placed in dry toilets and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Kindly notice that all toilets are not dry toilets, and biowaste should not be placed in them. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- The recycling point is located at Lake Niemisjärvet.
- There are dry toilets at each lean-to shelter in the hiking area.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- The free camping sites are located at Lake Valkea Mustajärvi, Lake Niemisjärvi and Lake Kovero. Camping is allowed also near the lean-to shelters.
- The facilities of the camping sites include a campfire place, firewood and an axe, and a dry toilet.
- There are 11 lean-to shelters and 3 reservable lean-to shelters in the hiking area.
- The facilities at the lean-to shelters include a campfire place, firewood and an axe, and a dry toilet.
Rental Cabins and Lean-to Shelters
- Käenpesä is a lean-to shelter for up to ten persons that is available on reservation. It is located alongside Lake Ylinen Rautjärvi in the Evo Camping Centre near the place for swimming. The shelter has a fireplace that can be used even when forest fire warnings are in effect. There is a dry toilet next to the shelter. Reservations: Metsähallitus Customer Service, sisasuomi(at)metsa.fi, tel. int. +358 206 39 5270.
Mustajärvi Croft Rental Hut 6 persons. Equipment: Wood-heated stove, an electric cooker and oven, a refrigerator, electric lighting, beds, mattresses, covers and pillows. There is a dry toilet, well, woodshed and sauna in the yard. Mustajärvi Croft rental hut is used by cattle shepherds from 27 May to 7 August 2022. Information and reservations from Metsähallitus Customer Service: sisasuomi(at)metsa.fi, tel. int. +358 206 39 5270.
- Onninmaja Rental Hut 4 persons. Equipment: Wood-heated stove, candle and paraffin lamp lighting, gas cooker, tableware for 12. Water from the well. The well at Onninmaja is in use for renters. Outdoor toilet, shed and campfire site. Swimming possibility in the lake, by the sauna. The beach is gently sloping by the dock. Term of lease 1.4.-30.11. Onninmaja rental hut is used by cattle shepherds from 3 June to 7 August 2022. Information and reservations from Metsähallitus Customer Service: sisasuomi(at)metsa.fi, tel. int. +358 206 39 5270.
- Evon luonto
- Ruuhijärvi, Syväjärvi and Kalliojärvi, reservations (evonluonto.fi)
- HAMK University of Applied Sciences, Evo
- Rahtijärvi. Reservations HAMK University of Applied Sciences, Evo
- The town of Hämeenlinna
- Kelkutteen kämppä Cabin and Kristianin kaskenpolttajan torppa Cabin, reservations (hameenlinna.fi, in Finnish).
- Reservable lean-to shelters: Erakkomurju, Ukkoherra and Vonkamies, reservations (hameenlinna.fi, in Finnish).
Camping Areas for Groups
There are two camping areas mainly for groups.
- The Evo Camping Centre offers an excellent setting with permanent structures for organising large camps and events. Reservations: Metsähallitus, firstname.lastname@example.org, tlf. +358 (0) 206 39 5270.
- The camping area of Lake Tarus, reservations (hameenlinna.fi, in Finnish).
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- Hämeenlinna Tourist Service (visithameenlinna.fi)
- The municipality of Padasjoki (padasjoki.fi, in Finnish)
- There is an accessible dry toilet at Lake Niemisjärvi.
- There is an accessible fishing platform at Lake Niemisjärvi.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- More services can be found about 20 km from Evo in Lammi (hameenlinna.fi), and at Tuulonen shopping centre (tuulonen.fi).
- The nearest places to buy fuel are in Lammi.
- Fishing permits for the recreational fishing area of Niemisjärvi (eräluvat.fi, web store).
- Explore also services in Hämeenlinna area (visithameenlinna.fi).
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.