Services in Evo Hiking Area
Customer Service and Guidance
- Metsähallitus, Customer Service, phone +358 206 39 5270, sisasuomi(at)metsa.fi
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the Evo Hiking Area
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national hiking area
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the hiking area.
Meals, where to buy and prepare
Shops, Kiosks and the Canteen
- HAMK University of Applied Sciences, Evo (hamk.fi) has a canteen which serves lunch (Mon-Fri) during the school season and also sells coffee, ice cream and sweets.
- The nearest shops are located in Lammi (hameenlinna.fi, in Finnish).
Campfire sites, Cooking Shelters and Lean-to Shelters
There is a campfire site at each lean-to shelter and camping site which are marked in the Ilvesvaellus Trail map. There are lean-to shelters at, for example, the following locations:
- Lake Syrjänalunen
- Lake Valkea Mustajärvi
- Lake Vähä-Keltajärvi
- Lake Savijärvi
- Lake Sorsajärvi
- Lake Koveronjärvi
- There are three cooking shelters around Lakes Niemisjärvet.
Making open fires is always prohibited if a forest fire warning or the grass fire warning has been issued for the area. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue and a roof.
- There is drinking water available at Lake Niemisjärvet at the kiosk building. The other well is out of order and not in use. Note that the water tap and the well are not in use at the moment!
- There is a natural spring along Syrjäsenalun harjupolku Trail.
- There are two wells in the Evo camp site and the water is tested and can be used.
- There is a natural spring along the trail south of Iso-Tarus.
- The surface water from the lakes, rivers and brooks must be boiled before use. Water in the springs and running water in the brooks is usually good for drinking. However, the quality of the water cannot be monitored, so the use of natural water is at your own risk.
- Look at the tips for outdoors drinking water in Hiking in Finland -pages.
- Read more about the status of wells on the page "What is new".
- There are no waste-bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- The recycling point is located at Lake Niemisjärvet.
- There are dry toilets at each lean-to shelter in the hiking area.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- The free camping sites are located at Lake Valkea Mustajärvi, Lake Niemisjärvi and Lake Kovero. Camping is allowed also near the lean-to shelters.
- The facilities of the camping sites include a campfire place, firewood and an axe, and a dry toilet.
- There are 11 lean-to shelters and 3 reservable lean-to shelters in the hiking area.
- The facilities at the lean-to shelters include a campfire place, firewood and an axe, and a dry toilet.
Rental Cabins and Lean-to Shelters
- Käenpesä is a lean-to shelter for up to ten persons that is available on reservation. It is located alongside Lake Ylinen Rautjärvi in the Evo Camping Centre near the place for swimming. The shelter has a fireplace that can be used even when forest fire warnings are in effect. There is a dry toilet next to the shelter. Reservations: Metsähallitus Customer Service, sisasuomi(at)metsa.fi, tel. int. +358 206 39 5270.
Mustajärvi Croft Rental Hut 6 persons. Equipment: Wood-heated stove, an electric cooker and oven, a refrigerator, electric lighting, beds, mattresses, covers and pillows. There is a dry toilet, well, woodshed and sauna in the yard. Mustajärvi Croft rental hut is used by cattle shepherds from 28 May to 27 August 2021. Information and reservations from Metsähallitus Customer Service: sisasuomi(at)metsa.fi, tel. int. +358 206 39 5270.
- Onnin maja Rental Hut 4 persons. Equipment: Wood-heated stove, candle and paraffin lamp lighting, gas cooker, tableware for 12. Water from the well. The well at Onnin maja is not in use! Water in this well is not drinkable. Outdoor toilet, shed and campfire site. Swimming possibility in the lake, by the sauna. The beach is gently sloping by the dock. Term of lease 1.4.-30.11. Onnin maja rental hut is used by cattle shepherds from 18 June to 5 August 2021. Information and reservations from Metsähallitus Customer Service: sisasuomi(at)metsa.fi, tel. int. +358 206 39 5270.
- Evon luonto
- Ruuhijärvi, Syväjärvi and Kalliojärvi, reservations (evonluonto.fi)
- The town of Hämeenlinna
Camping Areas for Groups
There are two camping areas mainly for groups.
- The Evo Camping Centre offers an excellent setting with permanent structures for organising large camps and events. Reservations: Metsähallitus, email@example.com, tlf. +358 (0) 206 39 5270.
- The camping area of Lake Tarus, reservations (hameenlinna.fi, in Finnish).
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- Hämeenlinna Tourist Service (hameenlinna.fi)
- The municipality of Padasjoki (padasjoki.fi, in Finnish)
- There is a dry toilet suitable for the disabled at Lake Niemisjärvi.
- There is a fishing platform suitable for disabled at Lake Niemisjärvi
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- More services can be found in Lammi (hameenlinna.fi), about 20 km from Evo.
- The nearest places to buy fuel are in Lammi.
- Fishing permits for the recreational fishing area of Niemisjärvi (eräluvat.fi, web store).
- Explore also services in Hämeenlinna area (hameenlinna.fi).