Luiro Mires Directions and Maps
The Luiro Mires are located north of Pelkosenniemi, on the east side of road 5.
- Sokanaapa Nature Trail is about 12.5 km from Pelkosenniemi. From Pelkosenniemi take road 5 to the north and follow it for 8 km, then turning onto road 965 (Savukoskentie road) and following it for about 4.5 km at which point the Sokanaapa parking area is on the left side of the road. The parking area is about 34 km from Savukoski.
- Kairanaapa bird watching tower is about 25 km from Pelkosenniemi. First take road 5 to the north and follow it for about 13 km until you reach Kairala Village and from there turn right following the signs to Luiro Village and continue for 5.5 km. Then turn left and drive along Alaköngäs road through Luiro Village northward for 6 km. There are signposts directing visitors to the bird watching tower from Luiro Village. The gate on the road after Luiro Village may be closed due to rasputitsa, in that case you need to walk approx. 4 kilometers to the tower.
- Driving directions to Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava
Coaches travelling between Pelkosenniemi and Savukoski stop on request at the Sokanaapa parking area. Coach timetables can be found on the Matkahuolto website (matkahuolto.fi).
Starting Points for Excursions
- The starting point for Sokanaapa Nature Trail is at Sokanaapa parking area situated on road 965 (Savukoski road).
- There is a trail from Alaköngäs road, about 6 km north of Luiro Village, to Kairanaapa bird watching tower. There is no official parking area at the trail's starting point. The gate on the road after Luiro Village may be closed due to rasputitsa, in that case you need to walk approx. 4 kilometers to the tower.
- Pyhä-Luosto outdoor map, 1:50,000. Karttakeskus 2008. The map is sold by Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava, Karttakeskus and by well-stocked bookstores.
- Terrain maps U511 Pelkosenniemi and U512 Sakkala-aapa, 1:50,000. Karttakeskus 2006. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- GT tiekartta Pohjois-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland North, 2010, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.