Modermagan has been a sheltered and popular natural harbour for generations. The island is named after the sheltered bay.
During the Second World War, there were also light field fortifications on Modermagan, as the island offers an excellent vantage point out over the open sea. Wartime ruins can also be found on many of the nearby islands.
Modermagan, information board
Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 59° 51.378' lon: 23° 25.403' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6640816 E: 299705
Directions and Maps
Nearest harbour you can reach by car:
- Ekenäs city centre, Pohjoissatama (North Harbour), address of the parking lot: Pohjoinen Rantakatu 15, 10600 Ekenäs.
- Skärlandet, Sommaröstrand (sommaröstrand.fi, in Swedish) boat harbour, Sommarö, parking address: Sommaröstranden 44, 10600 Ekenäs.
- Skärlandet, Baggö (baggömarina.com, in Swedish) boat harbour, Sommarö, parking address: Baggövägen 1275, 10600 Ekenäs.
Then by taxi boat (visitraseborg.com) to the Ekenäs archipelago nationalpark in the summer.
Hanko Hiittinen Tammisaari waterproof yachting chart, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2022.
Helsinki Porkkala Jussarö waterproof yachting chart, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2022.
Outdoor GT Map Southern Finland, 1:250 000, Karttakeskus 2019.
Terrain map K343, 1:50 000, National Land Survey of Finland 2010.
Terrain map no. 2013 02, 03, 05, 1:20 000, National Land Survey of Finland 2002.
Chart folio, 1:50 000, Series B Helsinki-Parainen, page 635, Traficom.
By boat to Ekenäs Archipelago
Enterprises offer boat transport and cruises to the national park on request.
- Enterprises routs and order traffic
- Taxiboats on the area (visitraseborg.com)
- Routs and order traffic (jussaro.net)
- Canoe rental
Rock and anchor mooring
The harbour on the south side of Modermagan is better suited for boats with a shallow draft
The harbour on the north side of Modermagan is for boats with a deep draft
The trail is a loop and can be started anywhere on the island. Along the path, there are nature trail information boards. The nature trail is marked with white markings.
On the trail, you'll be able to see a variety of biotopes, including everything from archipelago forest to the open sea. Especially on the Modermagan nature trail, you can experience an enchanting marsh along the way. In the summer, water lilies grow in the marsh on the island.
table and benches
- Lighting any campfires is strictly forhibited if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Always check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- You have to bring your own drinking water
- Pets must be kept on a leash when moving around the island.
- Keep to the trails during the period 1.5 – 15.7 in order not to disturb the birdlife during the nesting season.
- Read more about mobile phone coverage (112.fi).
- Protecting yourself against ticks and insects
- Check which fishing licenses you need (eraluvat.fi).
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency centre attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.