Ärjänsaari Directions and Maps
Ärjänsaari Island is located in Kajaani, in the vast stretch of Ärjänselkä in Lake Oulujärvi. The distance, as the crow flies, from the centre of Kajaani to the island is roughly 16 kilometres. There are the following boat harbours in the nearby areas: Ruunaniemi (3 km), Koutaniemi (7.5 km), Paltaniemi (17.5 km) and Kajaani Kalkkisilta right next to town centre.
- To the Koutaniemi boat harbour: from road no. 5 (Kajaani–Iisalmi), turn onto Vuoreslahdentie Road, and drive for about 9 km. Turn to the right onto Heinirannantie Road, and drive for about 7 km. Turn to the left onto Kalasatamantie Road, and drive to the end of the road, i.e. to the lakeshore. You can enter the following address into your navigator: "Kalasatamantie 25, Kajaani".
- To the Paltaniemi boat harbour: drive from road no. 5 (Kajaani–Iisalmi), following the signposts to Kajaani Airport, onto Paltaniementie Road. Drive past the airport and turn to the right onto Satamatie Road. Drive to the end of the road, i.e. to the lakeshore. You can enter the following address into your navigator: "Satamatie 10, Kajaani”.
- To the boat jetty of Kajaanin kalkkisilta: from road no. 5 (Kajaani–Iisalmi), turn onto Vanha Viitostie (no. 8807). Drive along this road for about 4.3 km and turn to the right onto Ahontie Road (no. 8803). Drive for about 1.3 km and turn, before Linnansilta (“the castle bridge”), to the right onto Kalkkisillantie Road. Drive to the end of the road, i.e. to the boat jetty. You can enter the following address into your navigator: "Kalkkisillantie 1, Kajaani".
- To the Ruunaniemi boat harbour: from road no. 5 (Kajaani–Iisalmi), turn onto Vuoreslahdentie Road, and drive for about 16 km. Turn to the right onto Ruunaniementie Road, and continue to the end of the road, i.e. to the lakeshore. You can enter the following address into your navigator: "Ruunaniementie 70, Kajaani".
- The Ruunaniemi shore may only be used by the customers of Metsähallitus and the Luonnollisesti Oulujärvi company. At other times, the road is blocked by a gate.
By Public Transportation
There is no public transport to Ärjänsaari Island.
Transport to Ärjänsaari Island can be enquired from local businesses:
- Luonnollisesti Oulujärvi (luonnollisesti.fi), tel. +358 50 327 7709
- Steamship Kouta (oulujarviristeilyt.fi), tel. +358 44 352 3479
To the trails
On Ärjänsaari Island, it is worthwhile starting your excursion from the Säippä peninsula. The Säippä area boasts the main jetty of the island, an information board, campfire sites and a tent area. There are smaller jetties in the Hautakaarre area, by the old café building, and next to Vierasniemi on the Kirkkosäikkä peninsula. On the island, there are two firewood sheds with dry toilets: in the Säippä area, close to the summer café, and within a sheep pasture in the Hautakaarre area, next to the old white café building.
Mooring to the boat jetty
Several boats can be moored to the Ärjänsaari boat jetty. There are eight mooring buoys on the northern side of the jetty. The side-on moorings on the southern side of the jetty are reserved for charter boats and ships. Beaching is recommended for shorter boats with an outboard motor.
Please prepare for mooring to the jetty by hanging the fenders on the sides of the boat in order to protect your own and the other boats. Please also prepare the stern and bow ropes. Approach the side of the jetty at an angle of 90 degrees, with a low speed, and fasten the hook of the stern rope to the buoy. Allow the boat to glide towards the jetty and, if necessary, adjust the direction. When the bow of the boat is close enough to the jetty, step onto the jetty and secure the bow ropes to the bollards on the jetty. Thereafter, tighten the stern rope and check the fenders. Departures take place in the reverse order. Please look out for the underwater barge wreck.
The fastening of the stern of your boat to a mooring buoy requires that you have a sufficient number of fenders hanging on the sides of your boat, a 20-metre stern rope, equipped with a hook, and bow ropes.
(Pdf File, 1.9 Mb, julkaisut.metsa.fi)
A bilingual, Finnish-English version (Pdf 1.2 MB, publications.metsa.fi) of the Ärjänsaari brochure has also been made.