Families in Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park
The three visitor centres in the national park are family-friendly. Our customer service provides information on the attractions of the Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park and its finest hiking trails. The exhibitions at the visitor centres introduce you to local nature and culture and there are also changing art exhibitions at the centres. We host nature evenings and many other events during the year and in our shop, you can buy maps and local products and enjoy fell scenery over a cup of coffee.
The ‘Meän elämää’ (Our Life) exhibition at the Yllästunturi Visitor Centre introduces you to local nature and culture, and a special activity booklet takes children through the exhibition. The visitor centre also has a play area, a cosy bear’s den and a stable with a broad range of hobby horses. Outside the building, there is a sandpit, a swing and a covered campfire site. In winter, you can slide down the slope on a toboggan.
At the Pallastunturi Visitor Centre, a special activity booklet takes children through the ‘Metsästä paljakalle’ (From Forests to Fell Tops) exhibition, which introduces you to fell nature. The visitor centre also has a play area for children. Why not take a hike to the Pallaskota Lapp hut and make a campfire there? The site is less than one kilometre away.
A special activity booklet takes children through the Vuovjjuš-Kulkijat (The Vuovjjuš - Wanderers) exhibition at the Fell Lapland Visitor Centre, which introduces you to Sámi culture and fell nature. The visitor centre also has a play area for children, and there is a covered campfire site outside the building. The Jyppyrä campfire shelter is less than one kilometre away.
Easy Trails and Nice Destinations for Families
The following trails are accessible for prams
- The Kesänkijärven kierros trail at Ylläs (up to the campfire shelter)
- The day trip hut on the Varkaankurun kierros trail at Ylläs can be reached from the parking area at Ihmisen rinki
- The Särkitunturin saavutus trail at Muonio/Pallas (up to the Lapp hut at the halfway point)
- Vatikurun luontopolku nature trail at Pallas
The following trails are suitable for hiking with children
- Kesänkijärven kierros trail at Ylläs
- Varkaankurun polku trail at Ylläs
- Orava Avenue trail to Pallaskota at Pallas
- Särkitunturin saavutus trail at Muonio/Pallas
- Jyppyränpolku trail at Hetta
Trails Suitable for Families with Children in the Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park