Korouoma Nature Reserve Directions and Maps
Because of the coronavirus, safe distances should be kept even in nature, and thorough hand hygiene should be followed at huts, campfire sites and after using the toilet. Metsähallitus' policies and guidelines will be updated as the general corona guidelines become more specific. Check our website for the current situation: www.nationalparks.fi/coronavirusguidelines.
At Korouoma the route between Pirunkirkko and Julmakallio is now closed from visitors. The stairs at the route are in very bad condition. We will inform later about the repair schedule.
- From Rovaniemi it is 100 km to Koivuköngäs and 115 km to Saukkovaara. To get to either place take road 81 (Rovaniemi-Posio) from Rovaniemi. From Posio it is 30 km to Saukkovaara along the Posio-Rovaniemi road. To Lapiosalmi 20 km by way of road Posio-Ranua. There is a forest road by which you can get from Saukkovaara to Lapiosalmi and to Voho in the west.
- Directions from road 81 (Rovaniemi-Posio): At the village of Pernu turn right onto a local road at the sign for Selänsalmi. Drive for about 2 km and turn right at the sign to Korouoma. From this intersection it is about 3 km along a forest road to Saukkovaara, where you can find a parking area and information boards.
- The closest airports are in Rovaniemi and Kuusamo (finavia.fi).
- Coaches (matkahuolto.fi) regularly travel between Rovaniemi and Kuusamo. The closest coach stop is in the village of Pernu 4 km from Saukkovaara.
- The contact information for taxi and group transportation (posiolapland.com) in the Korouoma area.
Starting Points for Excursions
- Good starting points for excursions are the trail starting points at Saukkovaara, Koivuköngäs and Lapiosalmi. There are parking areas and information boards at all of these points.
- Korouoma brochure map (Pdf-file 5 803 kB, julkaisut.metsa.fi)
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- Posio maps (posiolapland.com)
- National Land Survey of Finland map service (www.karttapaikka.fi)
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps S522 Simojärvi, T511 Autti, 1:50 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus, National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Peruskarttalehdet: Basic terrain maps 3631 07, 3542 09, 3542 11, 3542 12, 1:20,000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps 3542 Simojärvi, 3631 Autti, 1:50 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus, National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- GT tiekartta Pohjois-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland North, 2013, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.