Activities in Kairijoki
Nature journeys and paddling
Along Kairijoki there are several forest motor roads and fishers’ paths, which can be used for independent hiking or mountainbiking. There are also long traditions of berry picking and mushroom picking in the wilderness of Kairijoki nature.
Paddling in Kairijoki one may admire the river wilderness. The easiest way to begin a canoeing trip is from the local nature tourism company, Kairijoen Eräkeskus (kairiver.fi), which offers also rental of equipment. The paddling route map can be printed from the tourism page of Savukoski municipality (korvatunturi.fi).
Kairijoki has no official marked boating routes. The river in the wilderness requires basic skills on moving on water and using a map.
There are several lean-to shelters and cooking areas in the Kairijoki areas. Some of them are also maintained with firewood, but there is no waste maintenance on the area. Take away everything you brought along and take care of the cleanliness of the area. Please get acquainted with Outdoor Etiquette.
Kairijoki is popular especially among fly-fishers. A part of the main channel is also reserved only for fly fishing. Catch-size brown trout is planted to the river in between of Ylä-Kairi and Saunakoski.
- In the main channel of Kairijoki, between Aarto-ojansuu and Yläkairi bridge, fishing is allowed from the beginning of June to the beginning of October. For spin fishing one should purchase the Korvatunturi rod fishing permit 3546 (eraluvat.fi). In between or Aaro-ojansuu and the past bridge of Ylä-Kairi all fishing, including angling and ice fishing, is forbidden.
- There is also the Vasaköngäs rod fishing permit 3547 (eraluvat.fi) for fly fishing.
- Fisher should always check the possible fishing restrictions at kalastusrajoitus.fi (in Finnish only)
- Frequently asked questions about fishing in Finland (eraluvat.fi)
Persons 18–64 years of age are required to pay the fisheries management fee (eraluvat.fi) to fish recreationally in public water areas in Finland.
Guidelines and instructions in the area
Lighting campfires in recreation and restricted area are only allowed at sites marked for this purpose. Lighting campfires is always prohibited at both marked campfire sites and when fires are permitted by the landowner if a forest fire warning or a grass fire warning has been issued for the area. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
Tips for Kairijoki
Hiking and camping in the area are permitted as Everyman's Rights (environment.fi), but we recommend to camp by the official rest areas
Please note, that usage of motor vehicles is forbidden outside roads designated for motor vehicle use.
Varusteet ja turvallisuus
- One should always have a precise enough map at hand. The map of mobile phone is not sufficient in Savukoski municipality area, where there are areas without mobile network signal.
- There are no official sources of potable water. The surface water of Kairijoki is recommended to be boiled before consumption.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Hiking in Finland: