Services in Simojärvi-Soppana
Customer Service and Guidance
There are no Metsähallitus customer service points in the Simojärvi and Soppana areas. The closest customer service points are:
- Pilke House Customer Service in Rovaniemi
Simojärvi and Soppana area information boards can be found:
- at Korvajokisuu cooking shelter. Note! This is not maintained, which means eg. that no firewood is delivered
- at Lake Yli-Soppananjärvi cooking shelter.
- at Matalakangas parking area, which is located on Teerivaarantie near the River Paasonjoki.
- The information boards have text in Finnish, English and German.
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations
- Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the Simojärvi and Soppana Areas.
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the nature reserve.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Campfire Sites, Huts and Cooking Shelters
Campfire sites managed by Metsähallitus are situated at the following locations:
- Porosaari Island:
- day trip hut and campfire site
- a lean-to shelter and campfire site at the north end of the island
- Selkäsaari Island: lean-to shelter
- Lamanginsaari Island: lapp hut and campfire site
- Ahosaari Island: lean-to shelter
- Kenttäsaari Island: open wilderness hut and campfire site
- Korvajokisuu: cooking shelter and campfire site Note! This is not maintained, which means eg. that no firewood is delivered.
- Lake Yli-Soppananjärvi: cooking shelter and campfire site
- Lake Tuppilampi: campfire site Note! This is not maintained, which means eg. that no firewood is delivered.
- Lake Paasonjärvi: lean-to shelter
- Lake Paha-Paasonjärvi: lapp hut and campfire site
There are also rest spots in the Simojärvi and Soppana areas which are managed by someone other than Metsähallitus.
It is prohibited to light campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- The prohibition does not apply to the stoves of Porosaari day trip hut and Kenttäsaari open wilderness huts, the lapp huts in Lamanginsaari and Paha-Paasonjärvi, and the cooking shelters in Korvajokisuun (Note! This is not maintained, which means eg. that no firewood is delivered) and Yli-Soppanajärvi.
More information on lighting fires at campfire sites can be found on the Hiking in Finland pages.
- There is a well in the area near Yli-Soppananjärvi cooking shelter from which to get drinking water.
- The surface water from the lakes, rivers and brooks must be boiled before use. Water in the springs and running water in the brooks is usually good for drinking. However, the quality of the water cannot be monitored, so the use of natural water is at your own risk.
- Read more tips on drinking water on the Hiking in Finland pages.
- There are no waste-bins in the park. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- At Korvajokisuu cooking shelter there is a mixed waste bin as well as a glass recycling box. Note! this is not maintained.
- There are dry toilets at all rest spots on the islands on Lake Simojärvi.
- There are dry toilets at the Korvajokisuu (Note! This is not maintained anymore) and Lake Yli-Soppananjärvi cooking shelters.
- There is a dry toilet at Kosti Campfire shelter by Lake Paha-Paasonjärvi.
- Campfire sites along the hiking trail do not have dry toilets at them.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- Camping in all parts of the area is an Everyman's Right.
- There are two sites in the area which are very well suited for camping: the Lake Yli-Soppananjärvi and Korvajokisuu (Note! This is not maintained, which means eg. that no firewood is delivered) areas. These sites have cooking shelters and Yli-Soppananjärvi has also a well from which it is safe to take drinking water. Visitors may camp in these areas free of charge.
- There are no other designated camping areas, but we recommend that visitors camp near lean-to shelters and Campfire shelters. Visitors may also stay overnight in lean-to shelters.
Open Wilderness Huts
- Kenttäsaari Island on Lake Simojärvi.
There is one rental cabin that can be booked through Lomarengas (www.lomarengas.fi):
- Rosamo Wilderness Cabin, which is located in the shore of Lake Yli-Soppananjärvi.
Rental cabin in the surrounding area:
Services for the Disabled
- There are no services for the disabled in the Simojärvi and Soppana areas.
Services for Boaters
The area's coordinates are given using the WGS-84 Coordinate System.
Harbours and Boat Launch Ramps
- Simojärvi boat and fishing harbour pier, old submarine harbour (66º 5.544'27º 5.512')
- boat parking spots
- Harbour: fishing harbour warehouse, concrete boat launch ramp
- Waste disposal point
- The harbour is managed by the municipality of Ranua.
- Simontaipale boat harbour (65º 58.373'27º 8.874')
- boat parking spots.
- Harbour: sheltered campfire site, concrete boat launch ramp.
- There is a lean-to shelter near-by.
- The harbour is managed by the municipality of Ranua.
- Pohjaslahti boat launch point (66º 13.181'26º 52.191')
- Gravel covered boat launch ramp
- The boat launch point is managed by the municipality of Ranua
- Korvajokisuu boat launch point (66º 3.465'27º 16.253') Note! The boat launch point is off on use
- Gravel covered boat launch ramp, which is suitable for row boats.
- The boat launch point is managed by Metsähallitus.
It is difficult to come ashore with larger boats at the area's rest spots as there are no actual boat piers at them. Coming ashore in smaller boats is possible at all the rest spots even though the water on the shoreline is shallow.
Lodging, Equipment Rental and Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- There are numerous rental cabins in the Simojärvi area. In the area's surrounding villages there are numerous cafes and restaurants. There are tourist enterprises in the surrounding area which offer a variety of services. More information on these can be found on the travel websites for the municipalities of Ranua (visitranua.fi) and Posio (posiolapland.com) (https://posiolapland.com).