Visit the Kajaani Castle Ruins
The interior of Kajaani ruin castle will be closed to visitors during the summer of 2021. The stone courtyard and wall laws of the castle are being repaired.
The Kajaani Castle ruins are always open to visitors free of charge. The site is not staffed. There is no winter maintenance, and the routes may be unsafe in the winter.
- Address of the site: Linnankatu 27, 81700 Kajaani
- Metsähallitus is responsible for the maintenance and management of the castle ruins.
- Telephone: + 358 206 39 6380, +358 40 825 6060, Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola
- E-mail: petola(at)metsa.fi
- A notification must be submitted to Metsähallitus of any events organised at the site: instructions and a form (metsa.fi, in Finnish)
- Research and other activities not covered by the "Right of Public Access" (also known as "Everyman's rights" in Finland, and the "Right to Roam" in the UK) requires permission from the landowner (instructions and form, metsa.fi, in Finnish).
- Parking subject to a charge is available in the parking area of the town located in the centre of Kajaani, at the eastern end of Brahenkatu Street (Brahenkatu 1). From here, there is a footpath and bridge through the park to the castle ruins, situated approximately 300 metres away.
- There is a free-of-charge parking area for tourist coaches at Brahenkatu 3.
- Metsähallitus Excursionmap.fi
- National Land Survey of Finland Map Service (asiointi.maanmittauslaitos.fi)
- Terrain map number 3441 07, 1:20 000. Maanmittauslaitos.
- Terrain map number Q522 Kajaani, 1:50 000. Maanmittauslaitos 2014.
- Retkeily GT Itä-Suomi: GT Outdoor Map Finland East, 2014, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.