Services in Koli National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- Information about hiking in Koli National Park is available at Koli Nature Centre Ukko. The Centre also provides information on other nature destinations in the Koli–Ruunaa region, including the Ruunaa Hiking Area, Telkkamäki Nature Reserve, and Patvinsuo, Tilkkajärvi, and Petkeljärvi National Parks.
- Exhibitions and picture shows.
- Group tours of exhibition and on nature trails (reserved in advance).
- Internet access point, a nature shop and Café Eväsretket (kalastusretket.fi) serving snacks for hiking and local café delicacies.
- Please contact Koli Nature Centre Ukko, we will be happy to help you in planning of your trip.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national park
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés, Restaurants and Shops
- At the Nature Centre visitors will find Café Eväsretket (kalastusretket.fi), which sells snacks for hiking, hot and cold beverages as well as local delicacies. Also soup lunch available in high season. Check opening hours from Café Eväsretket (kalastusretket.fi).
- Restaurant and Café at Break Sokos Hotel Koli (sokoshotels.fi).
- A Café at the Art and Culture Centre Kolin Ryynänen in the centre of Koli Village.
- Café and restaurant at Koli harbour at the Alamaja
- During the winter season, the restaurant is open by reservation only.
- In summer, there is a café in Heritage farm Mattila (kolinkeidas.fi). During the winter season, café is open by reservation only.
- Koli Village shop, also has post office and pharmacy services, tel. int. +358 10 76 23300.
- There are several campfire sites in the Koli National Park
- In the mainland: Turula meadow, Vaarala clearing, Likolahti Bay, Paimenenvaara Hill, Ikolanaho clearing, Lakkala, Ylä-Murhi, cape Rykiniemi and Rinnetupa Hut's lean-to shelters (managed and maintained by Break Sokos Hotel Koli in winter during the ski season) and the so-called prime minister's campfire site at Ukko-Koli Hill.
- On the islands: Laitosaari Island (2), Iso-Korppi, Pieni-Korppi; Hiekkasaari Island and Pieni-Hiekkasaari Island.
- Campfire sites are marked on the Outdoor and servicemap of Koli.
- Lighting campfires is forbidden when there is a forest and/or grass fire warning in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue and a roof which in the area are Ryläys lean-to shelter and Rinnetupa Hut's lean-to shelters.
- The water of Ollila well is safe to drink without boiling.
- The water of Vaaralanaho and Ikolanaho springs and Seppälä well must not be drank unboiled. More detailed information on the quality of the water can be got from Koli Nature Centre Ukko, where visitors can also fill their flasks with tap water as required. Check the availability of water in the wells and springs from the Visitor Centre before starting your trip.
- Lakkala well, Ikolanaho well, Paimenenvaara well and Ollila draw well are not in use (their water quality is poor).
- The surface water from the lakes, rivers and brooks must be boiled before use. Water in the springs and running water in the brooks is usually good for drinking. However, the quality of the water cannot be monitored, so the use of natural water is at your own risk.
- Look at the tips for outdoors drinking water in Hiking in Finland -pages.
There are no waste collection bins in the parking areas, or along the routes, or at the campfire sites, so visitors must take their waste from the hike with them. No waste should be left behind in the Koli National Park. Read more about Hiking without Littering
- Dry toilets can be found at the following locations: Turula, Vaaralanaho clearing, Paimenenvaara Hill, Ikolanaho clearing, Havukka, Lake Pitkälampi, Ylä-Murhi, Pieni-Hiekkasaari Island, Hiekkasaari Island, Iso-Korppi Island, Pieni-Korppi Island and Laitosaari Island (2).
- Toilets emptied with suction are located at Likolahti, Myllypuro, Lakkala and Rykiniemi. Do not put any food waste or other garbage in them.
- There are toilets at Nature Centre Ukko, at Break Sokos Hotel Koli, at Koli Harbour at the Alamaja and at Art Café Kolin Ryynänen in Koli Village.
Tent camping and hammock camping are permitted only in marked areas in the National Park. These areas are Turula, Myllypuro, Ylä-Murhi, Lakkala, cape Rykiniemi, Iso-Korppi island and bigger Hiekkasaari island.
- A campfire site, a shed and a dry toilet are available for hikers at Turula. The meadow surrounding the campfire site has been designated as a camping area for hikers. Water is taken from the well in front of the Ollila farm's sauna building.
- At Myllypuro, the camping site is located on the grounds of an old hut. A campfire site, a shed and a dry toilet are available for hikers. Water is taken from the brook and it must be boiled before use.
- Ylä-Murhi camping site is next to campfire site. A shed and a dry toilet are available for hikers. Water is taken from Pitkälampi pond and it must be boiled before use.
- At Lakkala, the campfire site, the camping site and the dry toilet are located behind the main building by lake Herajärvi. Firewood is fetched from the shed that is located next to the former cowshed. The water in the Lakkala well is not safe to drink. Water is either taken from the well at Seppälä farm or from the lake (it must be boiled before use).
- At Rykiniemi, the camping site is located by the beach on lake Pielinen. A campfire site, a shed and a dry toilet are available for hikers. Water is taken from the lake and it must be boiled before use.
- At Iso-Korppi island and Hiekkasaari island the camping site is located next to a campfire site. A shed and a dry toilet are available. Water is taken from the lake and it must be boiled before use.
- Ikolanaho Rental Hut (available on reservation all year)
- Jero Rental Hut (available on reservation all year)
- Kolin Ryynänen Luhtiaitat (Granaries) Rental Hut
- Metsäpirtti Rental Hut
- Mäkrä Rental Hut (available on reservation all year)
- Pärnälahti Rental Hut
- Pärnälahti Red Rental Hut
- Lakkala Rental Hut
- Seppälä Rental Hut
- Soikkeli Rental Hut
- Ylä-Murhi Rental Hut (available on reservation all year)
- Further information on rental huts can be found on the website (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi). Hut reservations can also be made on the website. Rental huts can also be reserved from the Nature Centre Ukko.
- In heritage farm Mattila (kolinkeidas.com), visitors can stay in the two guest rooms or in the two-storeyed outbuilding.
Where to Wash
- Sauna hours at Break Sokos Hotel Koli (sokoshotels.fi) are 4 pm to 8 pm daily.
- Contact Koli harbour's Alamaja or Kolin Ryynänen Café in advance to inquire about sauna possibilities during the hike.
- The sauna at the Mattila farm (kolinkeidas.com) is available for rent.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- There is two camping areas near Koli: Koli Freetime (kolifreetime.fi) in Kopravaara and Merilänranta camping site (visitkoli.fi)
- A traditional B&B in a two-storey outbuilding at Kolin Ryynänen in Koli Village.
- Farmhouse Paimentupa (paimentupa.fi) located on the hillside of Paimenenvaara Hill in Koli National Park offers accommodation, restaurant services for guests and some nature activities.
- VisitKoli (visitkoli.fi) offers accommodation in small and terraced apartments at Loma-Koli.
- Koli24 (koli24.fi, in Finnish) is a centralized online booking system for accommodation in the Koli region.
- Further informatuion on private tourist services in Koli can be found on the Koli website (koli.fi).
- Some of the rental cabins in the Lieksa area can be reserved on the Lieksa website (lieksa.fi, in Finnish).
- Information on camping grounds and rental cottages in the Juuka area is available in Finnish on the Juuka website (juuka.fi, in Finnish)
- There is a guestharbour at the Koli harbour. Please contact Alamaja for boat stage services.
- More information on, for example, accommodation services can be got from Visit Karelia Tourist Service (visitkarelia.fi)
- Koli Activ Oy (koliactiv.com) at Ukko-Koli rents canoes, bikes etc. at Koli Harbour's Alamaja.
- Snow shoes and skies an be rent from Koli Shop Retkitupa (feelkoli.fi).
- Please contact Rinnetupa (Break Sokos Hotel Koli) to rent slalom equipment.
- All parts of Koli Nature Centre Ukko are accessible by wheelchair. There are wheelchair ramps to the exhibition area, elevators to the second floor, where the audiovisual equipment and conference facilities are located, and an accessible toilet.
- Near Ukko-Koli scenic viewpoint there is a separate demanding accessible viewpoint, which is at the end of a wide path. Read more about the Ukko-Koli demanding accessible Trail, 400 m / Direction.
- The railcar from the parking area to Ukko-Koli Hill can take wheelchairs. There are also two accessible parking spaces (one 310 cm and the other 370 cm wide) near the entrance of Break Sokos Hotel Koli. You can only use accessible parking spaces with a suitable permit. Otherwise parking in the Yläpiha courtyard is prohibited.
- Some of the National Park's campfire sites are accessible by wheelchair: Likolahti and the so-called prime minister's campfire site near Nature Centre Ukko.
- The only accessible toilet in the National Park is at the Nature Centre.
- The Koli harbour has guest boat stages, a cruise ship stage, a boat ferry stage, a boat launch ramp and it serves as home harbour for locals.
- The harbour is accessible by boats of all sizes, though southeasterly and east winds may cause problems.
- There are 8 guest boat places. For more information contact Koli tourist information, tel. int. +358 13 248 5315 or Alamaja Centre at the Koli harbour, Koli Activ Oy, tel. int. +358 13 688 7250
- A concrete covered boat ramp.
- Chemical toilet waste disposal point.
- Electricity distribution
- Swimming spot
- Washing machines at Alamaja Centre.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- Koli Travel association, Kolin Matkailuyhdistys ry (koli.fi)
- The closest ATM is at Koliportti in Ahmovaara. The closest bank is in Juuka.
- The Koli Village shop has post office and pharmacy services. The shop also has a fuel distribution point.
- The closest medical centre is in Juuka.
- Public internet access point at Break Sokos Hotel Koli.
Sights in the Surrounding Area
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.