Instructions and Rules in Öjen
Instructions for Exploring Öjen
In Öjen, the following are
- Walking or skiing according to the everyman's rights (ymparisto.fi)
- Picking berries and mushrooms
- Lighting campfires and camping are only allowed at sites marked for this purpose.
- For activities that are not included in the everyman's rights, it is usually required to have a permission from Metsähallitus (metsa.fi). Such permits include research permits and permits for major events.
- Please note that lighting campfires is also forbidden at campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a shelter and a flue.
- Keeping pets off the leash
- Driving motor vehicles outside the roads
- Littering or damaging structures etc.
How to Prepare Yourself
Mobile Phone Reception
Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the park without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
It is advisable to keep the mobile phone warm, as some models do not function properly in the cold. It is a good idea to have a portable charger or an old mobile phone with you if the battery runs out. Let someone know your route plan and schedule.
Equipment and Safety
Öjen's nature trail passes through an easy terrain, so you can get by with regular off-road shoes. Protect yourself from mosquitoes by using appropriate clothing and mosquito repellent.
- If you have an emergency during your trip, e.g. you get lost, hurt yourself or detect a forest fire, call the emergency number 112. Further information on how to act in an emergency.
- Bring a first-aid kit with you.
Hiking in Finland
112 Suomi - mobile application
When an emergency call is being made through the 112 Suomi - mobile application (112.fi) the dispatcher will automatically receive the callers position.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.