Services in Salamajärvi National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut and cafe (koirasalmi.com)
- Opening hours 2020:
- 1.6. - 30.8. every day from 10 am to 4 pm
- In September Fri from 4 pm to 8 pm and Sat - Sun from 10 am to 4 pm
- 3. - 4.10. and 10. - 11.10. from 10 am to 4 pm
- 12. - 18.10. every day from 10 am to 4 pm
- Other times by booking in advance
- See events (facebook.com, in Finnish).
- The services at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut are offered by enterprise Luonnollisesti M&M.
- Contact: koirasalmi(at)gmail.com, tel.int. +358 40 9398147
- Guidance for visitors at Salamajärvi National Park
- Reservations for Sysilampi and Pieni Sääksjärvi rental huts
- Rowing boat and canoe rental
- Accommodation, caravan places, rental lapp hut and reservations for the sauna
- Snow shoe, kicksled and forest ski rental
- Meal services, guided tours and courses
- Camp schools
- Contact Information:
Services Offered by Enterprises in Salamajärvi National Park and by Peuran Polku Hiking Trail
Following enterprises offer services in Salamajärvi National Park and by Peuran Polku Hiking Trail. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable tourism when operating in the National Park.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops, Kiosks and Restaurants
- The nearest shops are at the centres of Kinnula (kinnula.fi, in Finnish), Kivijärvi (kivijarvi.fi, in Finnish) and Perho (perho.com, in Finnish), 20 - 25 km away.
- It is possible to buy t-shirts and textile badges of the national park, souvenirs, coffee, snacks, ice cream, candies etc. at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut.
- Several enterprises offer catering and accommodation services in the area.
Campfire Places, Campfire Shelters and Lean-to Shelters
- There is a campfire shelter and 2 campfire places at Koirasalmi
- Lean-to shelter at Lake Heikinjärvi
- Campfire shelter at Pyydyskoski and Pahkahongan-kangas.
- Open wilderness hut, 3 rental huts and 2 campfire places at Sysilampi.
- Campfire places are located at Hiiliniemi, Ruuhilampi, Tavilampi, Kaulus, Jyrkkäniemi, Pitkälahti and Talviaho.
- Please note that when forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect, fire may only be lit in the fireplaces of the huts. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- There is a tap on the wall of Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut.
- There is a well at the open wilderness hut at Lake Sysilampi.
- There are no waste-bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There is a recycling point at Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut, where you can dispose of biodegradable waste, glass, paper, metal and mixed waste.
- There are dry toilets on the grounds of Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut.
- There are dry toilets at huts, lean-to shelters and most campfire places, except at the campfire sites of Hiiliniemi, Ruuhilampi, Tavilampi and Talviaho.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- Camping out temporarily is allowed in the camping sites, and in the vicinity of campfire sites and shelters.
- Terrain is stony. The best camping areas are at Pyydyskoski, Sysilampi, Pitkälahti and Koirasalmi (Nb! Koirasalmi camping and services are paid (koirasalmi.com).
- There is a lean-to shelter on the side of Lake Heikinjärvi.
Open Wilderness Huts
- Sysilampi open wilderness Hut, for 4 people
- Pitkälahti open wilderness Hut, for 2 people
- Valvatti open wilderness hut, for 4 people (In the vicinity of the National Park, by the Hirvaan kierros -trail)
- Sysilampi rental huts 1, 2 and 3, for 2 people, 6 people and 6 people
- Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut has rooms for 2 and 4 people.
- Pieni Sääksjärvi rental hut for 6 people (In the vicinity of the National Park, by the Hirvaan kierros -trail)
Reservations at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut (koirasalmi.com).
There are two rental cabins near the National Park.
- Ahvenlampi Cabin (lomarengas.fi), for 22 people, has a fireplace, stove, gas cooker and gas lights, a sauna and a boat.
Kaunislampi Cabin (lomarengas.fi), for 6 people, has heater, gas refrigerator, gas cooker and gas lights, a sauna and a boat. Kaunislampi cabin is located about 5 km from the National Park.
- At Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut there are places for caravans, some also with electricity. A fee is charged. Reservations at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut (koirasalmi.com).
Where to Wash
- There is one rental sauna in the National Park: the sauna of Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut. Reservations at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut (koirasalmi.com).
- The sauna at the Sysilampi is included in the rental of the Sysilampi rental huts 2 and 3.
- Rental of row boats, canoes, snoe shoes, skis and kicksleds at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut (koirasalmi.com). Availability is recommended to check in advance.
- There is a ramp for wheelchair users to get to the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut.
- There is a dry toilet, a campfire site and a rental lapp hut which are accessible, on the grounds of Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut.
- The accessible Koirasalmi trail starts from the Nature Information Hut and is 780 meters each way.
- It is possible to fish from the shore at Koirajärvi recreational fishing area (eraluvat.fi).
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The municipality centers of Kinnula (kinnula.fi, in Finnish), Kivijärvi (kivijarvi.fi, in Finnish) and Perho (perho.com, in Finnish) have all the basic services. The distance to Salamajärvi National Park is about 20 - 25 km.
- Nearest places to buy fuel are at the village of Möttönen in Perho, and at Kivijärvi, about 20 km away.
- Saarijärvi region tourism services (visitsaarijarvi.fi).
Hiking Destinations in the Surrounding Area
- Iso-Valvatti bird wetland near the mire reserve of Linjasalmenneva.
- Iso-Valvatti is a former lake, which was drained during 1927 - 1930 for harvesting hay.
- An excellent destination for bird watchers in the spring.
- Valvatti road is in bad conditions.
- More information from Metsähallitus, Tel. int. +358 206 39 5270 (tue-fri 10:00-14:00), seitseminen(at)metsa.fi.