Instructions and Rules in Salamajärvi National Park
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.
Instructions on Exploring Salamajärvi
In the Salamanperä Strict Nature Reserve it is only allowed to move on the marked trails.
In the National Park, the following are
- Walking, skiing, row boating and canoeing, except in the restricted area
- Mountain biking according to everyman's rights except in the restricted area. Always stay on clearly visible tracks and pay attention to other hikers.
- Picking berries and edible mushrooms
- Hook and line fishing and ice fishing, except in Koirajärvi lakes. Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (kalastusrajoitus.fi, in Finnish).
- Campfire is only allowed at sites marked for this purpose. When forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect, fire may only be lit in the fireplaces of the huts.
- Camping out temporarily is allowed in the camping sites indicated, and in the vicinity of campfire sites and shelters.
- A destination-specific permit is needed for fishing in Koirajärvi angling permit area.
- In the restricted area of Heikinjärvenneva movement during the birds' nesting season 1.3. - 15.7. is allowed only on trails.
- Lighting campfires at every campfire place, if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. You may still use the fireplaces of the huts. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- Pets running at large
- Taking or damaging trees, bushes, other plants or their parts, or mushrooms other than edible ones
- Damaging soil or rock, and extraction of earth material or minerals
- Killing, catching or disturbing wild animals, or damaging their nests
- Driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- Leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the park without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
Equipment and Safety
- Even though there are no great differences in altitude, the rocky terrain is quite difficult at some places.
- It is wise to wear sturdy shoes with rigid soles, which also support the ankles.
- In the spring, when the snow melts, water rises on the duckboards. During this time, you will need to wear rubber boots.
- Please note that there is no paper in the toilets.
- Heikinjärvenneva observation tower is a good place to observe the life on the mire with binoculars or telescope and a guidebook on birds.
- Café services available in summertime. You can pack your own meals and have them at the campfire places.
- Please note, that lighting campfires is forbidden also at the campfire places if the forest fire warning is in effect.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Hiking in Finland
- The peak season for fishing is from mid June until mid August, so during that time there are a lot of fishermen at Lakes Heikinlampi, Koirajärvet, Ahvenlampi and Kaunislampi.
112 Suomi - mobile application
When an emergency call is being made through the 112 Suomi - mobile application (112.fi) the dispatcher will automatically receive the callers position.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.