Kivitunturi Area Services
Customer Service and Guidance
- Pyhä-Luosto Visitor centre Naava
- Set along the Kivitunturi Nature Trail and Sotsonportti Circle Trail are information boards, which present information on the geology and nature of the region in Finnish and English.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
The closest food stores are located in Savukoski and Pelkosenniemi.
- Kivikuru: campfire site
- The starting point of the Kivitunturi Nature Trail: cooking shelter
- Sotsonportti: cooking shelter and a campfire site
- Äitipetäjänlampi: campfire site
- Please note that, unlike other rest stops, there is no firewood maintenance at the Kivikuru lean-to.
- It is prohibited to light campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- The prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters at Sotsonportti and the trailhead.
- More information about lighting campfires can be found at Hiking in Finland.
- Drinking water can be drawn from the creek at the Sotsonportti and Kivikuru rest stops and directly from the Äitipetäjänlampi Pond. In addition to these, there are also a few other ponds and creeks along the trails. Surface water, such as water taken from ponds and creeks, should be boiled for a few minutes before drinking, as water quality varies from place to place and according to temperature.
- There are no waste bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There are toilets at the starting point and at the Sotsonportti and Äitipetäjänlampi rest areas.
Camping and lean-to-shelters
- In the Kivitunturi area, visitors may camp on the rest stop grounds and in accordance with Everyman's Right elsewhere. There are lean-tos at the Äitipetäjänlampi and Kivikuru rest stops.
Staying Overnight Nearby
- Tourism services in Savukoski.
Services for the Disabled
- The trails in Kivitunturi area are not suitable for those with restrictions in moving. There are a lot of height differences and stairs.