Kivitunturi Area Services
Customer Service and Guidance
- Pyhä-Luosto Visitor centre Naava
- Savukoski Visitor centre Korvatunturi
- Set along the Kivitunturi Nature Trail and Sotsonportti Circle Trail are information boards, which present information on the geology and nature of the region in Finnish and English.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
The closest food stores are located in Savukoski and Pelkosenniemi.
- The starting point of the Kivitunturi Nature Trail: cooking shelter
- Sotsonportti: cooking shelter and a campfire site
- Äitipetäjänlampi: campfire site
- The lean-to shelter located at Kivikuru has been dismantled 07/2021.
- It is prohibited to light campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- The prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters at Sotsonportti and the trailhead.
- More information about lighting campfires can be found at Hiking in Finland.
- Drinking water can be drawn from the creek at the Sotsonportti and Kivikuru rest stops and directly from the Äitipetäjänlampi Pond. In addition to these, there are also a few other ponds and creeks along the trails. Surface water, such as water taken from ponds and creeks, should be boiled for a few minutes before drinking, as water quality varies from place to place and according to temperature.
- There are no waste bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There are toilets at the starting point and at the Sotsonportti cooking shelter and Äitipetäjänlampi lean-to shelter.
Camping and lean-to-shelters
- In the Kivitunturi area, visitors may stay overnight at Äitipetäjänlampi lean-to shelter surroundings with a tent, and in accordance with Everyman's Right elsewhere.
Staying Overnight Nearby
- There is a private hut, Kivitunturin maja (Kivitunturi ski lodge), in the beginning of the trail. The hut is owned by Savukoski municipality and can be rented from a local company Korvatunturin Retket Oy (korvatunturi.fi).
- Nearby Kivitunturi there is also a historical building, Wilderness Estate of Tarkkala (korvatunturi.fi), which can be rented from a local company Korvatunturin Retket Oy (korvatunturi.fi).
- Tourism services in Savukoski.
- The trails in Kivitunturi area are not suitable for those with restrictions in moving. There are a lot of height differences and stairs.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.