Instructions and Rules in Arctic Circle Hiking Area
Instructions on Exploring Arctic Circle Hiking Area
In the hiking area, the following are
- Hiking and camping, which are Everyman's Rights (environment.fi), but we recommend that you camp in the vicinity of campfire sites and other rest spots.
- picking berries and mushrooms
- We ask that you light campfires at designated campfire sites.
Hook and line fishing and ice fishing are allowed under everyman's rights, except where specific restrictions apply.
- Angling with a single rod is permitted, except in the restricted waters. Persons aged 18-64 years must pay the fisheries management fee. Angling permits for restricted areas are available from Metsähallitus' online shop (eraluvat.fi)
- Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish).
- As a rule, a permit issued by Metsähallitus is required for activities other than those included in everyman's rights, which may include research and organised events. Further information on required permits: research and access permits (metsa.fi) and permits and notifications related to events (metsa.fi).
- lighting campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to the Sortovaara lapp hut or the stove of the Niittypirtti day trip hut.
- pets running at large
- driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
Könkäänsaari island in Arctic Circle Hiking Area is being prepared to be made in a nature conservation area because of it's precious nature. So please respect nature, don't damage plants or animals, or trash.
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the Arctic Circle Hiking Area without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
- During spring floods in late April and early May part of the duckboards in the area may be under water.
- During winter visitors should be especially cautious when climbing the steps to the nature observation tower.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Napapiiri Hiking Area is most visited during summertime and when there is little snow. Some of the most popular destinations in the area are the Vaattunkiköngäs Islands and the Vikaköngäs area.
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.
112 Suomi - mobile application
When an emergency call is being made through the 112 Suomi - mobile application (112.fi) the dispatcher will automatically receive the callers position.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.