Services in Rokua National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
Services Offered by Enterprises and Other Organisations in Rokua National Park
- Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the national park.
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés, Restaurants and Shops
- There are cafées and restaurants at the hotels.
- The nearest shop are in Utajärvi and Vaala.
Campfire Sites and Campfire Huts
- Kirvesjärvi: campfire hut
- Saarinen: campfire hut
- Pitkäjärvi: campfire hut
- Rokuanjärvi: campfire hut
- Palovartijan tupa "Fireguard's Hut": iron heating stove.
- Pookin paussi: hut for a day trips
- Please note that lighting campfires is forbidden also at campfire places, if the forest fire warning is in effect!
- This prohibition does not apply to fireplaces with roof and flue. NOTE: It is forbidden to use the fireplaces in Pookin paussi hut and Fireguard's hut during the forest fire warning due to the extremely dry forest floor.
- In warm summers there has been a lot of algae in Lake Rokuanjärvi, so its water is not recommended for drinking.
- Pookivaara Hill, which is the highest point of Rokua at 194,2 metres above the sea level and about 50 metres above its surroundings, was an excellent place for fire observation. Fire guard's hut and observation tower were built there in 1936. At wartime the tower was used for air surveillance. Fire guards used the place until mid 1970s. The current fire observation tower, which is not in its original use any more, is already the third one at the same place. The tower was renovated and was reopened in spring 2013. The tower now has also opening windows so it is possible to view and photograph the scenery without disturbing glasses. The tower is open all year round. More information from Liminka Bay Visitor Centre, mobile, +359 40 832 1781 and email liminganlahti(at)metsa.fi.
- In the forest there are no waste-bins. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- Read more about Hiking without littering.
- There are dry toilets at the campfire huts at Lakes Kirvesjärvi, Saarinen and Rokuanjärvi, at the campfire hut and camping site at Lake Pitkäjärvi, and at the fire guard's hut at Pookivaara.
Camping and Campfire Huts
- Camping in the National Park is allowed at campfire sites located in Lake Rokuanjärvi, Lake Pitkäjärvi and Pookivaara Hill. Outside the National Park, setting up a tent is allowed at the campfire sites located in Lake Saarinen and Lake Kirvesjärvi. Please, camp only on already degraded soil. Nature of Rokua is very fragile and erodes easily.
- There are campfire huts at Lake Kirvesjärvi, Lake Saarinen, Lake Rokuanjärvi and Lake Pitkäjärvi.
- The campfire huts have firewood shelter with an axe, and dry toilet.
Open Wilderness Hut
Palovartijan tupa, "Fire Guard's Hut"
- More information from Liminka Bay Visitor Centre, tel.int. +358 40 832 1781.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- In Rokua and the surrounding area there are several privately owned rental cottages, hotels, YMCA Centre and services for visitors with caravans. Information and reservations at Rokua Geopark (rokuageopark.fi).
- From the parking area of Rokua National Park to the campfire hut at Lake Pitkäjärvi, there is a 0,8 km surfaced trail which is suitable for wheelchair users.
- From Rokua Health & Spa via Lake Ahveroinen to Jaakonjärvi parking space (former Information center Suppa), there is 2,8 km paved trail which is suitable for wheelchair users.
- There is a fishing place at Lake Ahveroinen which has been constructed to be suitable for the disabled.
- To the campfire huts at Lake Rokuanjärvi it is possible to get by wheelchair.
- There are dry toilets suitable for the disabled at campfire huts at Lakes Kirvesjärvi, Pitkäjärvi and Rokuanjärvi.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The municipality centres of Utajärvi and Vaala are the nearest places which have more services.
When there is a forest and field fire warning in force, making fires in prohibited throughout Rokua National Park, including in fireplaces with air chimneys. The area’s dry lichen heaths can very easily catch fire. The person starting the fire is always responsible for its safety. Please note that making fires may also be prohibited for specific locations.