Valsörarna is a group of islands on the outskirts of Kvarken and is a part of the Kvarken World Heritage Area.
The largest island in the group consists of Ebbskär and Storskär, which have become one island due to the land uplift. The archipelago here is an old, cultivated landscape where traces of the permanent settlements of lighthouse keepers and fishermen can be seen. For many centuries the Valsörarna group has been the most important fishing base for people from Björkö.
Valsörarna became a protected bird life area on the initiative of the people of Björkö as early as 1948. Together with Björkögrunden, which was already protected, Valsörarna made up the Valsörarna-Björkögrundens nature conservation area in 1977.
The area covers 600 ha/1500 acres of land and 17 200 ha/43,000 acres of water. The area is privately owned by the land and sea owners´ association in Björkö.
The landmark on Valsörarna is the 36 m high iron lighthouse, built in 1886. The lighthouse was manned until 1964.
Ebbskäret had a coast guard station from 1948 to 2009. The main building was demolished in 2016.
The nature trail which is 2.5 km long one way, provides opportunities to experience the varied nature. Along the trail there are information boards that tell about the island's nature and history.
Valsörarna, Korsholm municipality
- The main pier at the north end of the island Coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 63° 27.6243' lon: 21° 46.3972' ETRS-TM35FIN N: 7047522 E: 239649
- A small pier in the southern part of the island Coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 63° 27.6243' lon: 21° 46.3972' ETRS-TM35FIN N: 7047522 E: 239649
Connections and Maps
- The closest harbour accessible by car is : Svedjehamn, Björkövägen 1008, 65870 Björköby and Klobbskat, Klobbskatsvägen 170, 65970 Söderudden
- Topographic map P324 Valsörarna 1:50 000
- Topographic map P3244 Valsörarna 1:25 000
- Nautical chart 957 Merenkurkku, 1:250 000,
- The map on Valsörarna (julkaisut.metsa.fi, 445 KB, pdf )
- A marked fairway leads to Valsörarnas pier (solrutten.fi).
- Information on Valsörarna pier (solrutten.fi)
- Boat transport can be ordered from Metsähallitus' cooperating entrepreneurs
- Mooring with buoys
- Information on Valsörarnas pier (solrutten.fi)
Nature trail and sights
- Campfire site
- Dry toilet
- Information boards
- Benches and table
- Lean-to shelter
- A waste disposal terminal maintained by the Keep the Archipelago Tidy Association (pidasaaristosiistina.fi) is situated by the old pilot station at the northern end of Gåshällan.
- Visitors are only allowed to travel along the path between the northern pier, the lighthouse, Båtsviken, and Östergårds.
- Instructions and Rules for Visitors to the Valsörarna Islands
- You have to bring your own drinking water
- Pets must be kept on a leash when moving around the island.
- Keep to the trails during the period from 1 May to 31 July in order not to disturb the birdlife during the nesting season.
- Read more about mobile phone coverage (112.fi).
- Protecting yourself against ticks and insects
- Check which fishing licenses you need (eraluvat.fi).
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency centre attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.