What's Currently Happening in Salla National Park
News in Salla
Kaunisharju rest stop is temporarily closed
Kaunisharju rest stop is temporarily closed, as the old lean-to shelter has been removed and we are building a new one. We will inform on this website when the new lean-to shelter is finished and the rest stop is open again.
Also Tunturilampi, Kaippahanoja and Kylmähete rest stops are closed due to construction work.
Tunturilampi rest stop is temporarily closed
Tunturilampi rest stop is temporarily closed, as building of the new lean-to shelter starts on 14.9.2022. We will inform on this website when the new lean-to shelter is finished and the rest stop is open again.
The Taivaan tavoittelijan taival trail is open again
The renovation on the Taivaan tavoittelijan taival trail up to Iso Pyhätunturi fell is now finished and the trail is open again. In the renevation we renewed the stairs and duckboards and surfaced some parts of the trail with gravel.
Graveling work on the Kolmiloukkonen trail finished
The graveling work on the Kolmiloukkonen trail is now finished. The section surfaced with gravel starts at the beginning of the trail and goes to the Kolmiloukkonen lake and the lean-to shelter 1. From there it follows the right side of the lake until the mire with duckboards.
Construction work updates in September
The Taivaan tavoittelijan taival trail estimated to re-open in September
The Taivaan tavoittelijan taival (Sky Reacher´s Journey) trail up to the Iso Pyhätunturi fell is still temporarily closed. Estimated time for re-opening is in mid-September. The exact date will be published on this website. Until then you can use the more challenging detour (see Summer Brochure).
Construction at rest stops continues
The Kaippahanoja and Kylmähete rest stops are still closed. At Kaippahanoja, building of the day hut has progressed a lot but the day hut is not open for hikers yet. However, it is possible to go hiking on the Pahakuru trail - please be careful when passing the construction sites.
The Kaunisharju and Tunturilampi rest stops have new dry toilets and sheds. There can still be building materials at these rest stops but they can be used normally. New lean-to shelters will be built later and we will inform about it on this website.
Graveling on the Kolmiloukkonen trail
Graveling work on the Kolmiloukkonen trail is estimated to be ready during the week 35. The trail can be used normally. Please be careful when passing the site.
Construction work updates in August
- Graveling has started 8.8. on the Kolmiloukkonen trail but the trail can be used during the repair work. Please be careful when passing the site. Estimated time for the repair work is 2-3 weeks.
- The Taivaan tavoittelijan taival (Sky Reacher´s Journey) trail is still temporarily closed. Use the detour to the top of Iso Pyhätunturi fell. Instructions on how to find the starting point for the detour are below. The estimated time for reopening the trail is the end of September but we will try to open it earlier in September. The date will be announced on this web page and on our Facebook page.
- The Kaippahanoja and Kylmähete rest stops are still closed. However, it is possible to pass the construction sites and go hiking on the Pahakuru trail.
- The Kaunisharju and Tunturilampi rest stops can be used despite the construction work and the old dry toilets and sheds are still there to be used until removed. At Kaunisharju the old dry toilet is located behind the new shed. There can be building materials and some construction noise at these rest stops.
Signs and trail markings are developed
- Developing the signs in the national park has started with an external party mapping the needs for new signs to make a sign plan. In addition, trail markings are gradually renewed along all the other construction work. While the paths are quite clear, it is advisable to carry a map when hiking in the area.
Construction work in the summer and fall of 2022
Taivaan tavoittelijan taival trail is closed - please use the detour to the top of Iso Pyhätunturi fell
The Taivaan tavoittelijan taival trail (Sky Reacher´s Journey) is closed as the stairs and duckboards are being renewed. There is a steep and rocky detour up to the Iso Pyhätunturi fell top. Check the detour on our summer brochure. The starting point is close to the Pohjoisrinteet (Northern Slopes) parking area. From the parking area, walk along the road passing the small Pohjoishissi (Northern Lift) building and the sign for showshoeing trail until you find duckboards on the left side of the road. From there you can follow the trail and the blue signs to the top of the fell. The estimated time for reopening the trail is the end of September.
Four rest stops are renewed
Four rest stops are renewed this summer. You can see the closed rest stops on the summer brochure and on the map below. Kaippahanoja and Kylmähete lean-to shelters are already removed and new ones are being built. The Tunturilampi and Kaunisharju lean-to shelters can still be used but they are construction sites with building materials and some construction noise.
The law establishing Salla National Park entered into force on 1 January 2022.
Congratulations to Finland's 41st National Park!