Services in Hammastunturi Wilderness Area
Customer Service and Guidance
There are no visitor centres or nature information huts in Hammastunturi Wilderness Area, but several of them can be found in the tourist centres or population centres of the surrounding area. The necessary maps and permits can be obtained from these customer service points:
- Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen
- Ivalo Customer Service
- Northern Lapland Nature Centre Siida in Inari
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations in Hammastunturi Wilderness Area
- Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the Hammastunturi Wilderness Area.
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the wilderness area.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops and Cafés
- The nearest shops and services can be found at Saariselkä tourist centre (inarisaariselka.fi), from Ivalo and Inari (inari.fi).
- There is a café during the summer in the fork of Sotajoentie road.
Campfire Sites, Lapp Pole Tents and Day Trip Huts
- Campfire sites are located on the mouths of the rivers Kyläjoki, Appisjoki, Sotajoki and Louhioja.
- There is a Lapp pole tent at the Lake Kuoppajärvi and two on the eastern side of Harripäät Fells, for making a campfire.
- Rautujärvi day trip hut is located northeast of Hammastunturi Fell, on the northern shore of the lower Lake Rautujärvi, between the Lakes Hammasjärvi and Pensaslompolo, along the snow mobile track from Inari to Ivalo. The hut is only meant for day use.
- Kyläjoki day trip hut
- On state-owned lands, it is allowed to use branches and sticks from the ground for making a campfire. To take and use fallen trees of little value from the ground, you need a permit, which can be obtained from Metsähallitus Ivalo Customer Service or Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen
- It is recommended to use designated campfire places whenever possible.
- Please note that lighting campires is forbidden also at the constructed campfire places if the forest fire warning is in effect. However, it is allowed to use a camping cooker.
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- Natural waters in the area is normally suitable for drinking, but during the hot period in the summer, it is recommended to boil the water before drinking. Read more.
- Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the wilderness area. It is desiderable that you take all the waste that accumulates during your trip out of the area.
- However, there are recycling points in the starting point of the trail to Kultala Village of the River Ivalojoki, and at the huts. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There are dry toilets at all the maintained huts, cabins and campfire sites.
- Camping is allowed according to the Everyman's Right (environment.fi).
Open Wilderness Huts
- Ivalojoen Kultala open wilderness hut. The new open and rental hut of Kultala on the River Ivalojoki lies in the immediate vicinity of the Crown Station.
- Louhioja open wilderness hut. The hut is located on the southern side of the River Ivalojoki, about 400 m from the river, west of the River Louhioja which joins the River Ivalojoki.
- Liljeqvist open wilderness hut. The hut is situated on the east bank of the River Sotajoki about 350 m from the River Ivalojoki
- Ritakoski open wilderness hut. Located on the northern bank of the River Ivalojoki, the hut lies about 3 km east of the River Sotajoki's mouth.
- Suivakkojärvi open wilderness hut. The hut is located on the southwestern bank of a small lake, on an isthmus between Lakes Suivakkojärvet, about 7 km southeast from Lake Menesjärvi.
- Taimenjärvi open wilderness hut. This hut is located on the eastern side of the River Taimenjoki, in the southern end of the lower Lake Taimenjärvi, between the hills Jomppavaarat and Kynsileikkaamapäät.
Rental Huts and Reservable Hut
- Ivalojoen Kultala rental hut. The new open and rental hut of Kultala on the River Ivalojoki lies in the immediate vicinity of the Crown Station.
- Workers' quarters in the Kultala Gold Village, Reservable Widerness Hut. The renovated workers' quarters originally built in the 19th century lies in the immeadiate vicinity of the Crown Station.
- Ritakoski rental hut. Located on the northern bank of the River Ivalojoki, the hut lies about 3 km east of the River Sotajoki's mouth.
- Juntinoja rental hut near Inari-Pokka road.
- Kirakkajoki rental hut on the western shore of Lake Rahajärvi.
Caravans and Campervans
- There are no special services for caravan tourists in Hammastunturi Wilderness Area, but an independent caravan tourist can find interesting destinations.
- The nearest traditional camping grounds can be found in Ivalo (inari.fi). In Saariselkä tourist centre (inarisaariselka.fi) and at Kiilopää, there are also services for caravan tourist, although there is no actual camping ground.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- There are several hotels and other accommodation services in Saariselkä tourist centre (inarisaariselka.fi), Inari (inari.fi) and Lemmenjoki area.
- Equipment can be rented in Saariselkä tourist centre (inarisaariselka.fi).
- There are no special accessible services in Hammastunturi Wilderness Area.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The nearest banks and health centres can be found in Ivalo and Sodankylä.
- There is an ATM at Saariselkä. There are also shops, restaurants, cafés, a petrol station, taxis and accommodation services.
- Find out more about visiting Lapland (lapland.fi).
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.