Services in Kevo Strict Nature Reserve
Customer Service and Guidance
Siida - Sámi Museum and Northern Lapland Nature Centre in the village of Inari is open around the year, and offers information about Kevo Strict Nature Reserve and other hiking destinations in the Northern Lapland.
- Finnish Forest and Park Services Customer Service in Ivalo.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the Strict Nature Reserve
- Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the Strict Nature Reserve
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the strict nature reserve.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops and Cafés
- The nearest shops and cafés are in the villages of Karigasniemi and Utsjoki.
- There are 20 designated campfire sites in the strict nature reserve. They are located at a couple of kilometres distance of each other, near water. Lighting open fire is only allowed at these campfire sites. Please note that lighting campires is forbidden also at these designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning is in effect.
- Running water in the area is suitable for drinking, but near campfire sites and huts it is recommended to boil or filter the water before drinking.
- Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. There are recycling points at the open wilderness huts of Ruktajärvi, Njavgoaivi and Guivi, and at the both ends of Kevo Hiking Trail and also at Suohpašája and Roavejärvi camping area. At the campfire sites, there are bins for mixed waste, bottles and cans. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Add a cupful of bulking material into the toilet every time you use it.
- Read more about Hiking without Littering.
There are dry toilets at all the open wilderness huts and campfire sites, with bins for sanitary products. Add a cupful of bulking material into the toilet every time you use it.
The River Kevojoki is crossed three times along the Kevo Trail. At the wading places, there are wire ropes to aid hikers in wading across.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- Camping is only allowed at designated places. There are fourteen camping sites inside the strict nature reserve and outside, along the trails, there are four more. It is not allowed to take supporting poles or other wood from the area.
- There is a lean-to shelter on the grounds of the open wilderness hut at the Lake Ruktajärvi. This is meant to provide shelter during bad weather, not for overnight stays.
- At Suohppášája and Gamajotnsuohppasaja, there are Lapp pole tents where hikers can find shelter in bad weather. These Lapp pole tents are meant for day use only.
- In Paistunturi Wilderness Area, next to the strict nature reserve, hikers are free to choose their own camping place.
Open Wilderness Huts
In an open wilderness hut, hikers can stay for a night or two. More information about huts you find on the Huts page.
Along the Kevo Trail and the Guivi Trail, there are three open wilderness huts. Only the open wilderness huts of Guivi and the River Madjoki are located inside the strict nature reserve.
- Ruktajärvi Open Wilderness Hut is located in the southwestern part of the strict nature reserve, on the northeastern side of the Lake Stuorrajärvi (one of the Lakes Luomusjärvet), on the northeastern shore of the Lake Ruktajärvi which is located north of Luomusharju Ridge.
- Njavgoaivi Open Wilderness Hut is located in a small birch forest, west of Kevo Strict Nature Reserve, on the northwestern side of the Njavgoroáivi Fell (Nauguvaara) which is 6 km north of the Lakes Luomusjärvet.
- Guivi Open Wilderness Hut is located on the northern side of the northern branch of the River Kamajoki, about half a kilometre west of the confluence of the two brances, on the foot of Guivi Fell, on its eastern-southeastern side.
- Madjoki Open Wilderness Hut is located in the northern part of the strict nature reserve, on the eastern bank of the River Davimuš Mádjjohsuorg (one of the outlets of the River Madjoki), where Borgebeaskaavd Brook joins it.
- Akukammi Turf Hut is located along the marked trail between Njavgoaivi and Guivi, just outside of the boundary of the nature reserve. The turf hut was renovated in 2007, and there is room for about 4 - 6 people.
- Fiellu Turf Hut is located at the confluence of the Rivers Fiellogeađgejohka and Kevojoki, on the northern bank of Fiellu. There are no bunks, only tables and bences. It provides shelter from the weather, and it is meant for day use, not for overnight stays.
- Njaggaljavri Turf Hut is located in the northern end of the middlemost Lake Njaggaljärvi. It is an old fishermen's hut with a fireplace in the middle and a couple of bences. It was renovated in 1980. It provides shelter from the weather, and it is meant for day use, not for overnight stays.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- In Karigasniemi and Kaamasmukka, there are holiday cottages and saunas.
- At Karigasniemi, Kenestupa and Utsjoki (utsjoki.fi, in Finnish)
Services for Caravan Tourists
- At Utsjoki and Karigasniemi
- Rental saunas can be found at the holiday villages of Karigasniemi, Kenestuvat and Utsjoki (utsjoki.fi, in Finnish).
Services for the Disabled
- There are no special services for the disabled in the area.
- Siida in Inari is accessible by a wheelchair. However, there is only one wheelchair place in the auditorium. There is a wheelchair which visitors may use. There is also a toilet for the disabled in Siida, and the outdoor museum is accessible by a wheelchair with assistance.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The nearest shops, petrol stations, post office services and taxis are in the villages of Utsjoki and Karigasniemi.
- Please note that there is no ATM in the area of Utsjoki.
- The food shops in the surrounding areas have medicine cupboards.
- There is a health centre in the village of Utsjoki, and a health clinic in the village of Karigasniemi.
- Fishing permits for the River Tenojoki, for example, are sold by the local tourism companies.
- Taxi drivers can also provide car relocation service, as well as may the companies which offer services for tourists.
- There are plenty of accommodation services, the nearest hotel is in Utsjoki (utsjoki.fi, in Finnish).
Kevo Trail Camping
From North to South:
Silkeája (2,5 km)
Guoikgáhritája (3,5 km)
Beahcelávojávrrit (2 km)
Gaskkamuš Njaggaljávri (3 km)
Njaggaljávri (8 km)
Gamajotnsuohpášája (1,5 km)
Gamajotnjálmmeluoppal (3 km)
Roajášjávri (9,5 km)
Fiellogahjohka (5 km)
Gaskkamuš Suohpášája (1,5 km)
Suohpášája (8,5 km)
Geavvogeašláttu (3 km)
Ruktajávri at (10 km)
Luopmošjohka (2 km)
Kuivi Trail Camping
Trail Sections Sulaoja - Guivi - Sulaoja
Luopmošjohka (2 km)
Ruktajávri (10 km)
Njávgoaivi (6 km)
Áhkojoga gámme (7,5 km)
Kuivi open wilderness hut (10 km)
Fiellogahjohka (13 km)
Gaskkamuš Suohpášája (5 km)
Suohpášája (1,5 km)
Geavvogeašláttu (8,5 km)
Ruktajávri (3 km)
Luopmošjohka (10 km)
Suttesája (2 km)