Services in Oulanka National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
Oulanka Visitor Centre, the main information point in Oulanka National Park is located in the park's centre.
- Guided tours, introductions, exhibitions, information on hiking in the National Park and in surrounding areas.
- Maps, fishing permits, Oulanka theme products.
- From the Cafe also snowshoe rental.
Kuusamo Customer Service Karhuntassu situated in Kuusamo centre.
- Information on hiking and quidance on Oulanka and hiking destinations surround.
- Oulanka souvenirs and permits on sale.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Other Organisations in Oulanka National Park
Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the national park. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in national park.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Stores, Kiosks and Restaurants
- In Hautajärvi village Karhunkierroksen luontokeskus (Karhunkierros.fi, in Finnish)
- In Oulanka Camping (in Finnish, Oulankacamping.fi) there is a kiosk
- In Juuma at Basecamp Oulanka (basecampoulanka.fi) there is a kiosk, a restaurant and a café
- In Käylä village there is a food store (foodie.fi, in Finnish)
- In Ruka holiday centre there are several restaurants (ruka.fi) and shops
Campfire Sites and Cooking Places
Oulanka National Park has:
- 50 campfire sites, which are mainly located along the Karhunkierros Hiking Trail. Firewood, axe and saw are provided on site.
- 6 open wilderness huts with cooking spots and gas cookers. (Taivalköngäs, Kerojärvi at, Savilampi, Jussinkämppä, Siilastupa, Ansakämppä).
Any kind of fire is strictly forbidden outdoors during forest fire warning, even at designated campfire sites. However the use of camp stoves (f.e. Trangia) are allowed during forest fire warnings.
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- Waters in lakes, rivers and brooks should be boiled before it is drunk, as the quality of water differs from one area to another.
- Drinking water from the parks water-system is at each person's own risk.
- The National Park and Karhunkierros Hiking Trail have three recycling points. Visitors can recycle for example glass and metal at these points as well as hazardous waste such as batteries.
- Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- More information on Hiking without Littering.
- There are toilets at Oulanka Visitor Centre.
- There are toilets and outhouses at Oulanka and Juuma Camping Grounds.
- There are dry toilets at wilderness huts and campfire sites.
Camping in Tents and Lean-to Shelters
There are several lean-to shelters and tens of camping sites around the River Kitkajoki. Pitching of tents is also permitted in the vicinity of wilderness huts.
Open Wilderness Huts
There are 7 open wilderness huts and 1 day trip hut in Oulanka National Park. Along the Karhunkierros trail:
- Savilampi Wilderness Hut by the River Oulankajoki
- Taivalköngäs Wilderness Hut is by the River Oulankajoki
- Puikkokämppä Day Trip Hut and Ristikallio Wilderness Hut by the River Aventojoki.
- Ansakämppä Wilderness Hut near the River Oulankajoki
- Jussinkämppä Wilderness Hut is on the shore of Lake Kulmakkojärvi
- Siilastupa Wilderness Hut is near the River Kitkajoki at Jyrävä
Kerojärvi Wilderness Hut is on the Keroharju Trail on the shore of Lake Kerojärvi.
- The Oulanka National Park Camping Ground is located on the Karhunkierros Hiking Trail in the centre of the park.
- There are several Camping Grounds in Juuma Village.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- In the villages of Hautajärvi, Juuma and Käylä (about 13 km from the National Park) there are rental cottages some of which are in year-round use.
- Altogether, in Kuusamo there are almost 40 000 beds for guests, of which the majority are at the Ruka Ski Resort. The ski resort is 22 km from Oulanka. There are also several hotels in the Ruka area.
- Oulanka Visitor Centre loans out infant backpacks to carry the family's youngest in. Visitors must pay a deposit.
- Oulanka National Park's partners have hiking gears for rent.
- There are lots of programme service enterprices in Kuusamo area, which rent out eg. hiking equipment. More information can be found on the Town of Kuusamo (kuusamo.fi) and Ruka (ruka.fi) websites.
- Oulanka Visitor Centre, exhibition and cafe are accessible by wheelchair and baby pram. There are toilets for the disabled in visitor centre.
- Könkään kuohu, Accessible Trail
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- Ruka.fi and Salla.fi
- There is a bank, a post office and a store, which also sells fuel, in Käylä Village. There are some rental cabins in the area, of which some are in year-round use.
- There are many programme service enterprises in Juuma, which arrange hiking trips in Oulanka National Park rent hiking equipment.
- There are some rental cabins in the vicinity of Hautajärvi village.
- There are several programme service enterprises in Ruka, which arrange white water rafting and canoeing excursions and hiking trips in Oulanka National Park. The companies also rent hiking equipment. Ruka also has stores and the ATM closest to the park.
- Kuusamo has a variety of services. In the centre of town there is a medical centre and two pharmacies, a hiking gear store and several other speciality shops.
- Some tourist sights in the area are Ruka Fell, Valtavaara Hill, the River Kuusinkijoki and the Giant's Kettles at Aholavaara in the southern part of the Municipality of Salla. (Giant´s kettles were formed during the Ice Age by water making stones whirl around, which grounded a deep hole in the rock).