Directions to Hossa National Park
Hossa National Park is located between the Highway 5, E63 and Suomussalmi–Murtovaara (no. 843) roads in the northern part of Suomussalmi, partly in the municipalities of Kuusamo and Taivalkoski. The nearest airport is located in Kuusamo and the nearest railway station in Kajaani.
Distance to Kuusamo 76 km, Suomussalmi 100 km, Kajaani 206 km ja Oulu 240 km.
To the Hiking Trails
The hiking trails can be accessed from the following parking areas: the Hossa Visitor Centre, Huosivirta, Hossalaislammit, Lihapyörre, Julma-Ölkky or Aittojoki.
By Coach to Hossa
Hossa is reached by coach in summer and autumn. In winter, you can take a bus to Peranka and Juntusranta.
The Hossa bus service (luontoon.fi) operates in summer 6.6.-9.8.2022 between Hossa and Kuusamo. Please, check the latest timetables from the Matkahuolto websites.
On Kajaanintie/Viitostie (Highway 5, E63), between Kajaani and Kuusamo, there are coaches that go to Peranka. From Peranka, there is a connecting trail to the national park’s western end to the Kukkuri open wilderness hut (9.5 km) and the Hossa Visitor Centre (38 km).
In Summer 2022 coaches Kajaani-Kuusamo go via Hossa from 6th June to 2nd October.
- Mon-Fri 7.45 Kuusamo Ervastin aukio - 08.45 Hossa Visitor Centre - 8.50 Hossan Lomakeskus - 10.20 Suomussalmi coach station - 12.00 Kajaani travel center
- Mon-Fri 14.40 Kajaani travel center - 16.20 Suomussalmi coach station - 17.50 Hossan lomakeskus - 17.55 Hossa Visitor Centre - 19.00 Kuusamo Ervastin aukio
- Sun 10.00 Kuusamo Ervastin aukio - 11.00 Hossa Visitor Centre - 11.05 Hossan Lomakeskus - 12.35 Suomussalmi coach station - 14.20 Kajaani travel center
- Sun 15.15 Kajaani travel center - 17.00 Suomussalmi coach station - 18.25 Hossan lomakeskus - 18.30 Hossa Visitor Centre - 19.35 Kuusamo Ervastin aukio
- Please, check the latest timetables from the Matkahuolto websites.
On school days, coach Suomussalmi-Näätävaara-Juntusranta operates between Suomussalmi and Juntusranta. From Juntusranta, there is 34 km to Hossa.
By Train to Kajaani and Hossa
If travelling by train (vr.fi), the closest railway station is in Kajaani, 170 km from Hossa National Park. Connections by coach from Kajaani to Hossa.
By Car to Hossa
Hossa Visitor Centre, Jatkonsalmentie 6, Suomussalmi. More parking space is available on the other side of Jatkonsalmentie. Space for about 40 cars in total and for about 20 cars in winter.
Huosivirta parking area, Jatkonsalmentie 33, Suomussalmi. Space for 10 cars, no winter maintenance.
Hossalaislammet parking area, Pistonlehdontie 225, Suomussalmi. Space for 25 cars for most of the year, but only 10 cars in winter. Please note that not all GPS navigators recognise the address but direct you close to Highway 5. You should access the parking area via Jatkonsalmentie.
Lihapyörre parking area, at the end of the road turning north from Pistonlehdontie. Space in two parking areas for a total of 20 cars. In winter, the upper parking area, i.e., the starting point for the wilderness trail, has space for 8 cars.
Julma-Ölkky parking area, Julma-Ölkyntie 86, Kuusamo. Space for 80 cars. No winter maintenance.
Aittojoki parking area, along the road turning from Pistonlehdontie to Kokalmus. Space for 3 cars. No winter maintenance.