Services in Oulujärvi Hiking Area
Customer Service and Guidance
Further information from the Liminka Bay Visitor Centre.
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations in Oulujärvi Hiking Area
Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the hiking area. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the hiking area.
Meals, where to buy and prepare
Campfire sites, Cooking shelters, Campfire Huts and Huts
- By Lake Oulujärvi, there are a campfire site at Pantiokangas and a hut with a fireplace at Makkaraniemi.
- Campfire places in the recreational fishing area are located at Lake Särkinen (three sites, one of which has a lean-to shelter and another one a campfire hut, and at Lakes Syväjärvi and Kota-Peura. There is a hut with a fireplace at Lake Iso-Peura.
- At the western and eastern ends of Kuostonsaari Island are the lean-to shelters of Kuoston Kulma and Säippä, and boat stages. The western and eastern ends are connected by a 4-km-long marked hiking trail.
- Both the northern end of Kaarresalo Island and the north-western shore of Honkinen Island have a boat stage, a campfire hut and a separate campfire site.
- Please note that lighting campfires is forbidden even in the campfire sites if the forest fire warning is in effect! This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
There is a recycling point (excursionmap.fi) in Manamansalo. There are no waste-bins in the forest. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
There are dry toilets nearby each constructed campfire site.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
Temporary camping and lighting campfires on the islands of the hiking area is allowed at designated places:
- At the western and eastern ends of Kuostonsaari Island are located the lean-to shelters of Kuoston Kulma and Säippä.
- Both the northern end of Kaarresalo Island and the north-western shore of Honkinen Island have a landing place for boats, a campfire hut and a separate campfire site.
- There are campfire sites on the islands of Ykspisto and Ylä-Mulkku.
- Campfire sites in Manamansalo: Makkaraniemi, Painanne, Särkinen lean-to shelter, Särkinen campsite 1 and 2, and Isopeura
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
There are several entrepreneurs offering accommodation in the surrounding area.
There are no special accessible services in the area.
Services for Boaters
The depth of Lake Oulujärvi has been charted (the hiking area being part of Lake Oulujärvi). There is a nautical chart on Lake Oulujärvi made by Finnish Marine Administration (traficom.fi). The camping ground of Manamansalo has had a boat harbour. There are landing places at Kuoston Kulma on Kuostonsaari Island, and on the islands of Kaarresalo and Honkinen.
- The channels have been marked.
- There is no place to get fuel directly to the boat.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- Nearby are located the church of Manamansalo and Kassu Halonen Art House.
- Read more about services of municipality of Vaala.